late model rear end for '48 lcc

Guest raywilks

Guest imported_raywilks

I am in need of an open drive rear end for subject car. in a post of several days back Rolf mentioned one that you could use and still have the correct size tires and clear the fender skirts. could anyone steer me to this item. i think i am looking for something 59-60 inches wide. many thanks in advance!! smile.gif [color:\\"black\\"]

In 1965 I converted my 1947 Lincoln Continental to an open driveline by using the rear axle assembly from a 1957 Lincoln. In fact, I used the entire 1957 Lincoln driveline. Remember, this was 1965 and 1957 Lincolns were still "late model" cars! The bolt pattern is the same, but I used the '57 rims to get a wider wheel. It was the only car to be driven to BOTH of the LCOC national meets in 1970. (Eastern - Mt. Snow, VT. Western - Yosemite National Park, CA). I drove the car nearly 100,000 miles in about 10 years, wore it out, and parked it. I resurrected it for the 50th anniversary LCOC Central meet in League City, TX. in 1997 and it was the only 1947 car to attend that meet.

I'm getting ready to upgrade the tired old driveline and am planning to use a 1973-1978 Ford F-150 nine-inch rear end because I can more easily select the gear ratio I want. The wheels will still fit and I don't anticipate needing any spacers.

There is a Webshots Photo album of my '47 Continental at: http://community.webshots.com/album/33590926dAmhsj

Hi Ray, the one I used was out of a '82 Continental, we grafted the whole rear section of the '82 in to the '41, and since the '82 has coil springs, we did not have to put the long springs in parallel with the frame, was more work but real sanitary, will try to include a pic of it installed, showing the disc brake with the fender off, have many more pics too, if you want to see them write me at rolf@sasquatch,com.

Guest imported_raywilks

many thanks for the info. i think i want something with a lower numerical number and for what i am trying to do, even disc brakes would be super. i will keep speedway moters in mind. i did not know that adapter was available,ray. [color:\\"black\\"]

Guest imported_raywilks

phil, thanks. that is what i was looking for, also the type info rolf sent in his post. i have access to a ford pickup rearend but as of now i don't know the ratio.

looks like you have enjoyed your linc for a lot of years and miles. i [color:\\"black\\"] think that's great!!