Motor going - will '94 LeSabre do?

Guest Faust

Guest Faust

My '89 Reatta has reached 155K and is getting a little weak. My local boneyard has a '94 LeSabre with 84K. Will the motor drop in? How about the tranny?

the motor and transmission are different. the engine and transmission both changed in 1991. the transmssion is full electronic control in 1994. the last year for a direct swap would be 1990, and be aware the final drive ratio on other models would be different. the Reatta had a lower (numerically higher) ratio than other models for a little more off-line scoot.

Mike

The engine itself should be okay, but you may need to transfer some of your existing stuff to the new engine. I believe the EGR is operated differently and possibly the exhaust manifolds if the EGR has to be changed. I am not absolutely certain, but there will most likely be some small control differences, but those original items from your '89 engine should bolt on. The intake will probably be different too but it may work just fine, plus you will pickup a small amount of horsepower.

Guest Greg Ross

I would agree the transmission will be the mis-match due to the difference in Control outputs. , you probably should consider sourcing a remanufactured transmission.

The engine will be ok, if you do not have to do an annual smog-Test then just plug the EGR port on the front of the new intake manifold. The old EGR would have to be left plugged in to retain voltage feedback for the ECM. The 94 engine exhaust is far superior, where the EGR mounts on the newer engine it will likely clash with the Dog Bone Strut, no big deal if the above works for you. The Exhaust outlet from the newer manifold will match up to your existing header pipe. Consider up-sizing the Exhaust System though to 2 and a half inch dia, thatès probably what is on the LeSabre and you and the engine will like it better. Possible the location of the Exhaust flanges connecting front to back might clash with the cruise control module, so just rebracket to get clearance if necessary. The cable to the throttle will let you reposition it to suit. The Oil Filter bracket complete with the Oil Pressure Sender will likely have to be swapped, Oil Level Sensor off the oil pan swap too, but use the new intake for sure, you might have to modify the wiring harness here and there around the engine to reach everything. Fuel Line couplers are different too so you may need to use high pressure hose instead to connect up to the Fuel Rail and pressure regulator-, just be safe and use double hose clamps on the pressure line. The Throttle Body is larger in diameter so you will have to make an adaptor for the Air Intake-go cold air and plumb to suit.

Go for it.