Best way to clean rust out from inside an intake?

Get yourself a large enough container to hold the piece submerged. Mix 20% molasses and 80% water and let the item soak for a few days or a week. It will be absolutly clean and the left over mixture will almost keep forever and anyway it is biodegradable. This does a perfect job on any rusty parts.

Get yourself a large enough container to hold the piece submerged. Mix 20% molasses and 80% water and let the item soak for a few days or a week. It will be absolutly clean and the left over mixture will almost keep forever and anyway it is biodegradable. This does a perfect job on any rusty parts.

What an interesting idea! I would never have considered a molasses mixture. Does anyone have info on why it should work? What ingredient in molasses attacks rust? I am going to try it on a couple of rusty pieces of iron. If it does work it could be the new process to use for lots of different parts.

Guest 70 Electra

I had this problem years ago on a Chevy project. I took the manifold to a Redi-strip place. They use strong chemicals to remove every trace of rust inside and out! <P>It's obviously more costly, but when you consider the effects of some of that abrasive rust getting into your engine, I think it's well worth it!