1950 Buick Hood Problems

Guest James Conkwright

Guest James Conkwright

Does anyone have problems with the '50 hood rubbing on the fender when you open and close it. Im getting ready to get my 46-S painted and from looking at other restored 1950's I almost always see scrapes and missing paint around the edge of the fender that bumps up to the hood. Ive bought all new Hood to Fender bumpers from Bobs, but for some reason I dont think it will solve the problem. Is this a common thing? Are there other approaches to fixing it? I just want my paint to stay looking good.<P>Thanks<BR>James Conkright<BR>1950 Buick Special 2dr Sedanette Jetback<BR>46-S.

Guest Mr. Solutions

Just my 2c worth, but I have the same problem! No matter how careful I am, I always seem to scrape one of the sides...

If you look in the technical bulletins for 1947, there is a whole big section for adjusting the hood and hinges.<BR>I found that after doing that I dont have the problem with scraping anymore. I will go through the same procedure for my 50 (when I get it done) an hopefully wont have an issue.

Common problem. I had this with my 49 Super many years ago. Many hours of adjusting helped some, never got it right. Solution: I used a piece of old vinyl, After fulling the hood release on the side you want to open, the hood will pop up slightly, go to the opposite side of hood and slide the vinyl between the hood and fender where it rubs, and then open hood. Vinyl was just thick enough to prevent rubbing and saved paint for several years.<P>JIm Schilf / palbuick@aol.com