a/c filter

Guest jim13a

Guest imported_jim13a

I have read some posts about decreased air flow at the a/c ducts and have a few questions. I put a new heater core in right before winter so the heater core is clean. I looked at the Reatta parts manual and it shows a filter on the interior side of the evaporator. I am sure that this is plugged. Problem is, I cant see any way to get at it without removing the dash. According to other posts there is a filter on the front of the evaporator and can be cleaned through blower motor access. I checked and found no filter, but used simple green and cleaned the evaporator anyway. didn't make a difference.

Has anyone ran into this problem and found an easier solution?

Thanks, Jim

Guest imported_jim13a

Out of desperation, i decided to cut an access in the a/c box with my trusty dremel tool. was able to reach in and remove the offending filter. I then resealed the access cover with 2 part plastic epoxy. I estimate a 40% increase in air flow and 46`F vent temperature, the Florida sun won't be as menacing.

Jim

'89 pearl white Reatta

Dear Dr. Jim,

Congrats on your impressive surgical procedure and I am glad the patient not only lived but is prospering as well smile.gif In retrospect, did you find a way to get to the offending filter without cutting into the car? Sometimes when you get into things as you have you find there may have been another way to approach it....thanks!

Guest imported_jim13a

Brenda,

I really couldn't see any other way. I thought about removing the heater core and gaining access that way. But , it is not a good idea to disturb the heater core once installed (may damage the solder joints at the hose tubes).

And am not sure if the heat/ac door would allow access. Wish I knew about the filter when replacing the heater core. In my opinion, putting a non accessable filter in there was a stupid idea in the first place. Fortunately most of the newer cars have an easily removable filter installed, although few car owners are aware of this. If anyone decides to tackle a heater core replacement, i would recommend removing the filter at the same time if it is possible.

Jim Tedesco

'89 pearl white Reatta

I have never found a filter.

You might want to try a citrus based brake cleaner on the evaporator before the simply green and hot water.

The compressor oil that coats and collects dirt and crud is pretty hard to break down with just simple green.

Guest imported_jim13a

The evaporator was remarkably clean even before i used the degreaser on it.

The filter is on the side of the evaporator that faces the interior of the car.

Cannot be seen from engine compartment. It appears to be made of some kind of rubber like material and when removing literal fell apart in my hand. I don't think that it could be cleaned without damaging the core as it would take a substantial amount of water pressure to get to the filter.

jim

Guest imported_jim13a

Charlie B.,

I knew I should have taken pictures! I will start documenting everything I do from now on.

Are you planning to remove the filter in your Reatta? If so, let me know, and i'll get some pictures for you.

Jim Tedesco

'89 pearl white Reatta

Guest imported_jim13a

here's a crude reference for making the cut.

the opening should be as small as possible. my opening was was roughly 5" wide by 2.5" deep, just enough to squeeze my hand through. Make sure your A/C controls were set to cold and not heat. Do not cut any deeper than 1/8", the compartment is only 1/16" thick and though you won't hit anything important, it is better make your cut shallow. If you need further details, let me know. I be more than happy to help.

Jim Tedesco

'89 pearl white Reatta

Hi;

Thanks for the quick reply. I would still like to see where you cut the hole.

I'm afraid that I might cut in the wrong place mad.gif and would then be forced to cut

a second hole. I want it to be as neat as possible.

I would really appreciate a photo if possible.

Thanks again. Charlie B.

After reading this thread, I'll be pulling my filter. My flow is weak as well.

My '89 Service Manual(Final Edition) gives some help in the way of illustrations for the evaporator or heater core location, and doesn't even mention the filter. The only place I see a diagram of the heater core is Fig. 1 in Secton "1-B-1-2". That view shows (looking to front of car from interior) the heater core is in the bulky, square section, where the ECM mounts. The control set to cool, not heat, swings the temp. door to close off the heater core section, and gives the most room to access the evaporator section. Some other illustrations are in the "1-B-1" Section that will help.

My guess, looking at the drawing, is that "Jim13a" cut into the flat section that is between the two flanges, or ribs of the square section mentioned above.

I don't have the car here today, so I can't tell if the cutting would be best on the bottom or "face" surface looking forward. Perhaps Jim can let us know.