Convertible owners, can you answer???

rrs814

Do all of you have a top that rumbles and bumps when stowed away? I've had OK luck with using a sheet of bubble-wrap placed on it before closing between "door" and top. I also put some on the "platforms". Still, it bumps and thuds. My top is worn, and I will probably replace this summer, but still.. [color:\\"666666\\"] .....

I've never heard those sounds either. I've found when I take the time to smooth the folds down between the top's frame, the tonneau cover closes easily, but firmly.

To eliminate the rattling of your worn top, suggest you put a folded blanket (or other spacer material) in the trunk so the top will lay down upon it -- a shim. cool.gif

As cars age and get passed between owners, somethings get lost or destroyed.

With the boot open and the top still in place (up) you will notice a small, flat shelf welded to the wheel well. On virgin cars, there will be a thick piece of plastic that says "do not remove". This is one of the places your top could rattle. I would also check the pivots. Tighten if required and lube the joint. Use lube sparingly as you do not want it dripping on you or soiling the top material. After 14+ years, there are some maintanence items that might need attention.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest imported_tempest6cyl

Just FYI. The plastic cover on the wheelhouse shelf was their to reduce wear on the 5 bow seal as it slides across the surface during top operation.