86 cutlass . . . . faster!!!

vanzcorp

i have an 86 cutlass with the chevy LG4 305 engine, and, being a domestic power man I have a serious problem with the ricers who think that they're the fastest thing on the road. What can I do to this engine (keeping in mind the tight budget i am under) to make these ricers swallow their words?

Simple. Ditch the 305 and build a 350. It'll drop in like it belongs there, and for the same money spent, will deliver more power and torque. You've got a heavy car, and the ricerockets enjoy a good power-to-weight ratio. I don't think you'd ever overcome that handicap with a 305. (OK, I'll admit- SBC and esp 305s are not one of my favorite engines, but since you already have a SBC in place, we can forgive use of a Chevy 350.)

You might want to look into rear end gears too. You can get away with 3.73 gears with a 200-4R tranny because of the overdrive.

hey thanks alot for the advice rocketraider, im not a fan of having a chevy in my car either. I have a 350 from 73 cutlass which i havent started any work on but might sell it cuz it would probably cost too much to rebuild the whole thing. If you can, check out the specs on this page

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/7111pp.html

and tell me how much you think it will cost. I still have the #8 heads on the engine which i plan on getting rid of.

thanks man, I would still like to keep the priginal engine in the car if i could simply to keep costs down, and ill definitely take those gears into consideration, which vehicles might have 3.73 gears that will fit into my 7.5" rearend?