Need help in identifying a Cadillac V8 motor

RBinMICH

I created a second posting, for some advise in indentifying a old Cadillac V8 engine. I don't know the history or condition of this motor. Do engine blocks have serial or ID numbers ? A little discription of the motor: flathead V8, alternator is located between the cyclinder heads, in front of the carberator ( Carter ). looks like its fuel injected ?? with fuel line coming into fittings on the top of the cyclinder heads, " Cadillac Motors " stamped into the heads, and what looks like a water pump on the RH cyclinder head !! It has a " Hydramatic " tansmission attached, but I dont see any shifter levers. I would guess this engine is 1940's or 1950's vintage. Could this be an power unit from a Navy PT boat ?? The family has always said Dad has a PT boat motor, but my understanding is, that those were large Allison engines. waiting to here back from anyone. Thanks.

Hi RB, Welcome to the forum. It sounds like a standard 346 cid V-8 flat head, which were used in the Second World War in American tanks. You should see an engine ID stamped on the left hand valve cover. Otherwise it sounds like my '47 engine. These were not fuel injected though.

Hope that helps!