1923 Buick 6 cyl. Blowing water through radiator cap.

Welcome to the Forum, 1923Buick! Glad to have you onboard. I would like to add to what Tommy has said. You might consider having the radiator recored or rebuilt; then because sedimentation also effects the oil and water channels in the engine, I have found a good flushing of the engine is in order. I had this procedure done to my '47 346 cid V-8 and new hoses installed after having many overheating issues. Since that time, I have yet, in three years, to have the engine overheat. I lived in Houston for half of that time. You might also check or replace the thermostat if you have one. I do not know much about pre-war cars but I suspect that the flushing would do the engine a world of good.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

You definitely should check your radiator for blockage but it sounds to me as if you have a leaking head gasket. Start the motor and let it warm up a bit then CAREFULLY remove the radiator cap. Look down the neck (wearing safety glasses). If you see bubbles in the water, that is most likely exhaust gas and chances are good that you need to replace the head gasket. To confirm, do a compression test or take the car to a shop that has an exhaust sniffer. They will put the sensor in the radiator opening and determine whether you have exhaust leaking into your cooling system. I would check this out quickly though. Coolant can flow from the cooling system into the cylinders through a leaking head gasket and cause rust on the cylinder walls. Not a good thing! Also, check to see whether your crank case breather and oil look a bit milky. This is another indication that water is leaking into the cylinders.

Hello Again Fellow Buick Enthusiasts-

My friend, Jay Barrett, up in Vermont is disposing of a whole bunch of spare Buick mechanical parts. He is the gentleman we bought our '22 from. We went back to Vermont to get it and bring it home. While there we had the pleasure to see his all original, 1924, Model 45. That is one sweet running Buick. Jay has asked me to tell you guys that he has 2, 1923, 6-cylinder blocks that he will give away. He told me when I talked to him this afternoon that these blocks are in good condition. They are greasey. Have been stored inside for years. One block is bare and the other one has the valves, springs, cages, nuts, etc. in it. THEY ARE FREE FOR THE ASKING!! The only thing Jay said about these parts is that the taker will have to pay the shipping charges. This is one heck of a deal if you ask me. (Are you payin'

attention out there Brian Heil?) These are 1923, ALMOST

NOS parts!! I was telling him about this deal with the '27 goin'

to the crusher. He laughed and said it just goes to show ya

that there are fruitcakes everywhere. You guys can reach

Jay at home at: (802)333-9819, or, at: (802)296-0004. Follow

the phone prompts. The 1923 engine was the very last caged

valve 6-cylinder. This engine was all by itself. The '16 and '17

was the same. The '18 was by itself. The engine was covered started in '19 and remained the same through '22.

The '23 engine used a bigger crank and had a longer stroke.

I am happy to pass this information along to you guys. Jay

is a good guy, and is very knowledgeable about Buicks of

this era. Thanks for your time.

Guest stude8

I am surprised no one has suggested the dreaded word "Cracked block" yet.

I didn't think Buick in 23 had a detachable head yet but layed back and listened. I would call the guy with the engine blocks right away. Stude8

buick and cracked blocks...

usually, you would have other clues like, water in the oil pan, and foam, being gravity pulls the water down.

if water was getting into the cylinders, then you would have steam in the exhaust.

not sure about the thermostats on that year.