Steering Play

Guest Mr. Solutions

Guest Mr. Solutions

I have some steering wheel "play".<BR>Approx. (guessing) 25 degrees. <P>This "measurement" is obtained by turning (actually, I can use one finger for this) the steering wheel from side to side until resistance is met. Although the car does seem to drive fine, there is some driving wander from side to side depending on the road angle.<P> - Is this play in the steering normal? If not, where would I start looking for a problem to fix?<P>Note:<BR>There does not seem to be any undue wear on the tires due to alignment problems...<P>Thanks in advance

I assume the lash you refer to is on the car you have listed,right? With the introduction of recirculating-ball type gear in 1941,free-play in the gear itself is almost Zilch.Check to see if the lash is in the gear. If so,it almost had to have been run low on lube for some time. I would suggest getting it tightened up for safety's sake. I wish you were closer,I have a 28k gear that a very small price could be yours. Meanwhile, check the two adjustments that are available to you,end-play (big nut and screw at the lower end of the steering shaft), and sector mesh, (using the adjustment right on top of the main portion of the gear).Follow the instructions in your Buick Manual to yhe letter as safety is involved here. Ralph Crisp BCA 2399

I rebuild the front end on my '54, and like an idiot forgot to regrease the king pins when I put it all back together. That car hunted all over the road looking for it's lane. It took me about two weeks before I realized my error. Added grease, and can now drive for five miles with my hands off the wheel and it would go nowhere but straight and true. It was amazing.

Bad alignment can also cause a car to wander. Specifically the Caster. To much negative caster will make the car unstable. The actual concept is difficult to explain, but its kind of like when you ride a bike, some can be ridden without any hands. This has little to do with the riders balance, but with the angle of the forks to the wheel. <BR>When mechanics increase the caster they increase this angle to make the car track straight. On cars without power steering this angle is more negative to make steering easier.

Guest Mr. Solutions

Hi<P>Thanks to all that replied....<P>Admittedly I have not had the car checked for castor / camber / alignment since I got the vehicle, so the problem may very well be in this area as some of the replies suggest.<P>However, as I mentioned, there does not seem to be *any* wear on the tires, and I would have thought that wear would be evident if the alignment / castor / camber was out...<P>I'm inclined to agree with Ralph (MrBuick714) that the problem is more than likely in the "steering shaft gears". I'll be checking this out when I have a few mo's free again, and like everything else on this car, the learning curve will be uphill all the way!!! rolleyes.gif" border="0 <P>Thanks for all the advice. Any more bright ideas are always welcome.<p>[ 01-05-2002: Message edited by: Johan de Bruin ]

I'm not familar with a 51, but on my 68 Wildcat there was alot of play in the wheel. It would not pass NY inspection because there was alot of play in the centerlink. I replaced the centerlink and it took alot of the play out. Before the centerlink was replaced you could move the wheel from 12:00 to 11:00 and back to 1:00 and your passenger would not have felt a thing.