buick a/c question

Will other A/C components from another GM branches fit my '60 LeSabre?? It's got the hook ups for factory air but all of the heating and air components have been pulled.

At that point in GM's history, each vehicle division was its own operating entity--MUCH moreso than in more recent history. Therefore, about the only thing that might interchange would be the compressors (but not the mounts and watch out for different clutch pulley diameters) and possibly the suction throttling valve assembly. Everything else would typically be year and vehicle model specific. In some cases, there would be several years for the same part in a particular vehicle application, but very little cross-division uses otherwise. Many items that would seem to interchange don't.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Michael,

I've never done what you are doing, but from what I have heard others say when they did it, you are going to have several problems.

1. Finding the parts and being able to afford them. Your best bet would be to find a complete '59 or '60 Lesabre with factory air intact in a junkyard and harvest the parts you need. Even after doing that, many of the parts will not be working properly. Chances are, such a system would be expensive if used, and if you could find anyone with NOS (New Old Stock) parts, you may have to take out a mortgage on your house to pay for it.

2. Engine cooling. If they removed the underhood A/C parts, they probably have removed or replaced the original radiator, fan shroud, fan blade and fan clutch. All of these parts are critical to keep the engine from overheating, as well as providing enough airflow to keep the A/C unit cooling properly. Nothing worse than installing a system, then blowing a head gasket because you have the wrong radiator, fan, shroud or clutch installed and the engine overheated.

3. Freon. All of the old systems are made to run on R-12. In case you haven't priced R-12 lately, I hope you have a strong heart and a good credit limit on your Mastercard when you see the price. Yes, you can change over an old system to R-134a, but it will require perfectly working parts installed by someone who knows what he is doing, and the R-134a level adjusted to give maximum cooling. Some systems operate well when about using about 50% of the level of R-134a compared to R-12, but some systems need about 80-85%. For example, if your old system uses 54 ounces of R-12, your system may need from 26-44 ounces of the new stuff. That is where a good technician, reading the gauges and the temperature of the outlet air tempurature, knows how to fine-tune a 134a system.

In order to avoid all the problems of parts availability, cost and using the new freon, my suggestion is you call a company called Vintage Air. They build systems specifically for vintage cars, and can be installed with minimun cutting. Unless you insist on having a system made totally of original parts, they can make a system that will probably blow air through the factory vents, but will use new components under the hood. This will give you a reliable system made of new components that gives you the factory look inside the car. They also have the experience to make a system that works without overheating your engine. Their Web site is

www.vintageair.com

Good luck.

Joe