1956 Buick purchase ~ Help

Hi, I was thinking of purchasing a 56 Buick Special 2dr HT here in AZ. Asking price is $6K. Car needs tranny work as you have to take off in low then shift to drive. Does anyone know of a website to decode trim and paint data. I want to know what color the car was originally. My main concern is the car is Cambridge blue w/ white top but the firewall (only) under hood is white ?? Did Buick not paint this part or was it white to deflect heat or could this car have been origianlly all white. Thanks for any help. Greg

AWBE, thanks for the response. I have not seen lots of 56's for sale in my price range. I am glad to hear a voice of reason and patience. Since I saw the car Sunday it is all I can think about. Glad to hear it is not something I should jump on. Here is a link to the online ad. It is here in my town. It has some wear but mostly cosmetic (except tranny) The car is a base model except has AT. looks like it was repainted once. Real solid except a little bondo in rear, but metal is solid underneath.<BR> <A HREF="http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/3/6/17920136.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://adcache.collectorcartraderonline.com/10/3/6/17920136.htm</A>

If you've always wanted a '56, and the car is complete, you have the service records available, it was well maintained, and there aren't a lot of little things like all the rubber weather stripping is cracked and needs to be replaced, all the stainless is dented, the pot metal trim is pitted, etc, it doesn't sound too bad.<BR>Figure on replacing the gas tank, fuel and brake lines, and convert to a dual reservoir master cylinder right off the bat.<BR>Also, don't look at buying an old car as an investment. You buy a new one and are happy to get 1/2 your purchase price back in a few years. An old car is going to depreciate to a certain point, but it generally won't go below that. If you buy it for 6K and put 2-4K into it, in a few years it'll probably still be worth between 6-8 grand. But you'll have a lot more fun with it than an SUV.<BR>Also, a friend of mine swears that no matter how good the car is, after you buy it, you will always put another $1000 worth of nickle and dime stuff into it, and I have yet to prove him wrong. He also swears that if you figure something is going to take X-dollars to repair/replace/fix, double that estimate. Haven't proven that one wrong yet either.<BR>-Brad

I'm almost sure the car was white. The transmission can cost you up to 2 grand to get fixed.Why don't you check around a little more before you pay out $6000? Go to what cars are selling for on the buy and sell front page of this site.

If you can wait another 7-8 weeks, I have a '56 Special 2-dr. hardtop, blue and white, that will be all restored and for sale for about $8000, with a recently rebuilt Dynaflow, rebuilt engine, new paint, correct NOS upholstery, new chrome, etc. It is almost done. I bought it for $400, so I can sell it for $8000 after my restoration, and still come out okay. If interested, the car is in Sherman, Texas (still in the paint shop now), and I can be reached at pphillips@netexas.net $6000 is a bit high for one that needs the transmission rebuilt, unless everything else is already done.<P>Pete Phillips<BR>BCA #7338<BR>Ector, Texas

Classic---- you can put a lot of money in one of these things in a hurry. I have a 1955 76R(Roadmaster Riviera) which I have owned for 32 Years. It has 73000 Miles on it. I bought it from the proverbial little old lady original in 1970 with 42000 miles on it. I only gave $300 (thats hundred) for it , and in the next 3 years spent about $1500 on it along with 1200 hours work cleaning and detailing. In local shows over yhe southeast I won 49 trophies. In1979 I drove it to the Buick Nationals and won a National 3rd Place Trophy with it. Then,like a fool I let it sit in my unattached ,unheated garage for 21 years and it went to pot. The engine froze up, paint went bad and everything else dry-rotted. I started back with it 13 months ago. It has absolutely no rust---has never had any. I got the engine running and tuned;rebuilt transmission;new WWW Tires;New correct upholstery , carpets and trunk; all new rubber gaskets;rebuilt brakes and power steering;new springs and shocks; replaced exhaust manifolds;aand in process of replating bumpers. Next is paint-------Total put into car in last 13 months---incuding what must be done to finish--$15470. Car values say it is worth 15 to 18 grand. This on a low production Roadmaster tht has very loew mileage and no rust. Be careful or you will get in way over your head. I sggest you get rid of the hots and check out a Century or Roadmaster that you can verify the history of and has no rust. Just something for you to think about.