Riley Special question

Guest BillP

Not sure if this is the one you mean, but Riley had a small bore six with twin camshafts high on the sides of the block. They drove overhead valves through short pushrods and rockers. The valves were in hemispherical combustion chambers. This engine was the basis for the 1488cc supercharged White Riley special, prototype to the ERA cars. The White Riley was built by Raymond Mays and Peter Berthon.

Guest BillP

I've been a fan of ERAs for about as long as I can remember. Barrie Gillies restored and returned the White Riley to its original spec in the '90s. His son, Mark, the auto journalist, continues the tradition and drove a later, black ERA at the Laguna historics a few years ago and absolutely flew, coming first in class by a wide margin.

Guest BillP

I think that Imp is the four pot motor. Outwardly, the WR six looks like an iron block, alloy head DOHC engine with canted cam cases with flattish covers which are actually the rocker access plates. The original Riley engine had an iron head.

Now the original question that I am guilty of ignoring in all this is the reference to March. Aside from Formula 1 racing late in the last century, I don't know of March auto, or their association with Riley. Please tell.

Guest BillP

Automobile magazine May '04 in the mail box this morning has the same ERA R4D as I saw at Monterey up against Lotus 16, Brabham BT11A and new Porsche 911 GT3 doing laps at Donington Park. The elderly (1934) ERA average speed on the 2 mile road course: 82.3 mph, the 2004 Porsche: 85.6 mph. Mark Gillies drove all four cars, great photos.