Remote / Trunk Passthrough / Temperature Control

RangerRick

Howdy all -

Just bought my 1990 Reatta about a month ago with 100K on it. I have found quite a bit of useful information on this site, so here I am to ask a few questions.

1. I have read somewhere or another that there is a way to run wiring from the trunk to the passenger compartment of the Reatta. I was told it was under the carpeting in the trunk and came out somewhere behind the driver's seat. Any information on where this can be found (including pictures if available) would be most helpful.

2. I have had to reprogram my RKE system twice now, as the battery was disconnected for various reasons. Ever since I bought it, the door lock and unlock has worked, but the trunk and dome light has not worked. Any ideas on this one?

3. In the 1990, the seperate electronic temperature control unit was used to replace the touch screen. Occasionally, mine will get stuck in various settings, and it seems buttons will not work. Anyone else expierenced this?

4. The "Door Ajar" indicator has been on constantly since I purchased it. I was informed about this, but the previous owner said it was the passenger door sensor. I pulled it out and looked at it, seemed nothing wrong with it. When I push in on it, or close the door, the interior lights turn off (indicating it's working) but the door ajar light remains on. This would not be a problem, with the exception that this occasionally sets off the alarm. Any ideas as to where a common short location would be for this problem?

Again, a great forum. Thanks for your help.

I might have some good advice for the ECC ( Electronic Climate Control ). Mine was acting like it was possessed. The cure was to take it out of the dash, exercize the connections ( pull them apart and use a little tuner cleaner and an old toothbrush on them ). This will remove 13 years of built up crud off the connections. Made mine work like a champ, and it's very inexpensive.

Hi Rick, welcome aboard. I going to take a stab at question #3. The door ajar sensor is not the door jamb switch that controls interior lights ect. The sensor is actually mounted inside the door on the door latch mech. The only way to check it out is to remove the door panel. More than likely, the switch is broken causing the warning. I don't know if the switch is still avaiable from the dealer. I would not hold my breath. One of the negitive things about owning a Reatta is that some parts are hard to come by. That's the bad news. The good news, we have a few good, honest folks that sell used parts at reasonable prices that visit the forum regularly. I'm sure they can fix you up with what you need. As a new Reatta owner I going to offer the following. This forum has the best bunch of people you could ever find on the web about your car. They are very, very helpful. The forum itself is also a wonderful asset. So many things have been discussed over time that using the search feature can bring most topics right up for you to look at. I also have had some sucess in finding new parts at the following: http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/ (Their prices seem reasonable, till you look at their freight, but hey you need the part don't you? Some have also said their carrier has changed which made delivery less quick) and

http://www.vintageparts.org/ as I said before, don't forget we've got guys that sell parts here too. Hope you enjoy your Reatta as much as I have for the last 5.5 years. If you have questions, just ask us. I bet we can help. Howard

Rick,

the wiring channel is there, but will require the removal of both seats, the console, the complete interior carpeting, and the entire assembly behind the seats, which contains the storage compartments. the wiring channel has several places it splits off, depending on where the wiring is headed. once you get all the aforementioned items out of the way, whatever wiring you may want to add will be easy.

don't look at this as being an involved and difficult task, but as communing with your Reatta, and getting to know it better. smile.gif

Mike

Thanks everyone for your help so far. I think I'm going to pass on the wiring channel, but have now located the switch controlling the door sensor. The ECC starting going hay-wire after I installed an aftermarket radio, so I figured I had knocked something lose. I have since reconnected it and everything seems fine...so let us hope.

My biggest issue is still with the RKE. I just wonder if something is disconnected somewhere or anything along those lines. Also, on the key holes on the door, they are supposed to be lighted. After checking around on here, I found that they are fiber optic and often become disconnected. I pulled the door panel and checked this, it was still connected....yet the doors do not light. My interior door lights are working. Any suggestions on this one?

These Reattas really are great cars, just some minor things to restore it back to it's original state. cool.gif

-Kris

Hi Kris. Are you sure the fiber optic cable is pluged in completely? Sometimes these cables get tugged on when the door panel is removed and are not fully seated. Also, make sure it is firmly attached to the proper location on the keyhole. Also, if you have the door panel off, remove the cable from the door light and clean the end of it. It might also be a good idea to take a tiny object of some kind make sure dirt is not blocking light from hitting the end of the optic in the door lamp unit. There are only two things I can think of that would keep the feature from working. Blocked end, or the cable is severed somewhere. Otherwise, it should work fine.

UPDATE:

Ignoring any and all homework to be done, I decided to do some research and pull out the RKE module and take a look. I have read many a time on here the corroded wires have been the cause of any number of problems. So, after many minutes struggling with the rear trim (I do wish we could get a manual for how THAT was installed) I finally got it lose and got to the RKE module. I have never seen such a CLEAN set of wires and connectors. I build computers regularly and MY work doesn't look that good....so, after fiddiling with connectors and whatnot, to no avail, I put my poor car back together. So....does this mean bad RKE? I don't know....hoping someone does!

Tomorrow's To-Do List:

Pull the door panels back off and fix the illuminated locks and door handle sensors.

-Kris

So the majority of my problems have now been solved...

The contacts on the door sensors need to be cleaned or possibly it replaced.

I've got another solution for the trunk passthrough, found a route for wires.

Temperature Control seems to be working well.

The lighted door key holes are still messed up, but I haven't checked the connection on the key hole end.

No luck on the RKE....any solutions?