Your winter storage check list

Pat Baysinger

I'm wondering what those of us who live in the harsh winter climates do when we put our cars away until the road salt is washed away in the spring. What's your check list look like when you put her up for the winter, what do you do during the winter if anything, and before that first cruise in the spring?

I fill the tank, change the oil and filter, grease the chassis and spray the under side from front to back with WD-40 I then wash and wax the exterior,clean the interior and put it in the barn. I then pull the air cleaner ,pour oil down the carb until it smokes like mad and shut it off until spring. two or three times during the winter I put a charger on the battery just for insurance. This works for me and I am sure you will find many different mwthods which are as good or better,but I have never had a car fail me on the road and I drive them a lot! smile.gif" border="0

I drive my 67 GS400 Conv under a plastic cover with 2 sides ,turn off the eng,and go in the house.In the spring I check to see if it is still there .If it is I start it up and drive away.Last winter I even disconected the batt.Year before I didnt bother.Out of the last 12 years it spent one winter in the garage,it didnt like it.However,I live in mid-Mich so the winters are only 9 months long.Have never had a problem with bat,starter,oil burning or anything else.Thats why I drive Buicks.

Guest Skyking

Here in Rhode Island the winters have been pretty mild. I try to use my Buicks on nice days. I don't do anything different to them that I do in the summer. They are in the garage, covered...........

I've seen those sealed bags for cars. It looks like a Buick in a Baggie, but I'm sure it serves the purpose. They're not cheap though, and I don't know how easy it would be to patch holes, which are bound to happen sooner or later. I would think a person could buy a heavy mil plastic and use it. Something like the stuff made for green houses. I have a roll of that, and it is tough stuff. <P>I wonder if there's any point to jacking a car up slightly to take the weight off the springs in storage. And what about the tires...do they need to be off the floor or ground?

Guest BillEBuick

i have been told lifting the weight off the springs will extend the shocks if the shaft of the shock gets rust on it it will wear out the seal the shocks will start to leak as for lifting the tires i was told that some tires will get flat spots in them if they sit in one place too long but i have not seen this happen i have heard a lot of winter advice the best one is keep all types of rodent food /seed out of the garage or in metal containers

And if you have no garage, just a car cover, any recommendations? This will be the first winter without a garage, since I had to move out of my ex-girlfriend's place.<P>Anyway, any basic suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!<P>KEN

And if you have no garage, just a car cover, any recommendations? This will be the first winter without a garage, since I had to move out of my ex-girlfriend's place.<P>Anyway, any basic suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!<P>KEN

I bought a canopy and when I cut the top metal tubes to make it more narrow I had enough to reach the ground on one side.I got a big piece of plastic,cut some to fit one end & put the whole thing next to the garage.that covered three sides.East end is open.Then I bought a good car cover from the GS club which fits tight over the car.This keeps the snow & rain off and gives plenty of ventilation. You can also buy a sealed bag with a zipper but that might hold moisture.

I park the car in the garage over a plastic sheet to keep the garage floor moisture away from the underside (that WD 40 on the undercarrige sounds like a good idea). I also raise car so weight is off tires but on springs because I like to be able to pop the car in gear over winter (at idle) to exercise the trans and brakes. I fill the gas tank, add some gas stabilizer and fog the motor with that aerosol fogger juice. I also disconnect the battery. If I get a warm day in winter, I'll start it up and get all the moisture out of the engine, then fog it again when I turn it off. Past few years I have tossed a bag of dicessent (sp???) inside to keep the moisture and tarnish off the interior chorme. I used to change the oil prior to winter but not any more - would probably do that if I had a new rebuild. I also wipe down the chrome with WD 40.

Dont ever put anything but a regular car cover directly on the paint.It has to be soft and it has to breathe.Make sure the car is clean before you cover it.

Guest my3buicks

I have to go for the minimalist approach, for the past twenty two years I have filled them with hightest unleaded gas, parked them on a sheet of plastic, unhooked the battery, covered them with their car covers and waited till spring when I fire them up and enjoy them again. c(of course they are clean when put to slumber). I have never had a problem, they run like tops, and are consistant show winners.