Is a coil a coil

I'm having trouble getting a rebuilt 322 started and am trying some basic solutions like changing the wires, points etc. I have a coil which was purchased for a late model chrysler and was never installed. It looks to be the same. Can I use it.

You didn't say how late the Chrysler was but I would doubt you could/should use it. I don't remember if 50's Buicks used a ballast resistor or internally ballasted coil but if you use the wrong type it will cause ignition problems.

thanks for replies. As you can probably tell from my question, I'm not that knowledgable. It seems to me that the engine is turning over too slowly(as compared to newer smaller engines). I have not owned an 8 cylinder since the late seventies. I just installed the biggest diehard battery I could find and engine still seems to turn over too slowly. Can a coil or starter be weak as opposed to dead?

Just Rebuilt???? as in never started????<BR> did you pre-lube the engine (ie run the oil pressure up with a remote pump, or by spinning the engine pump with a drill, or by pulling the plugs and cranking the engine til pressure builds?<BR> Then double check timing and the quality if the gas (I have had gas go bad in 30 minutes in a contaminated tank).<BR> The slow cranking could be drag due to a tight engine or a poor ground or bad battery cables.<BR> Bill

The simplest way to determine if the coil is good is to pull the coil wire from the distributor cap, hold it close to a good ground ,and see if you get any fire. If it doesn't fire ,take the cap off and break the points manually . If that does'nt produce a spark, check to see if you have voltage to the plus side of the coil.If you have voltage to the coil,and still don't have spark disconnect the condenser,as it could possibly be shorted. if after all this you still don't get a spark, the coil is bad. frown.gif" border="0frown.gif" border="0frown.gif" border="0frown.gif" border="0