Hydramatic snatching out of reverse

CrestaMan

Hi all,

I have 2 recently reconditioned hydramatics( both '50 Cads), one done in the US and the other done here in the UK. I have checked the fluid levels in both and have set the engine idle rate as stated in the workshop manual. Both boxes have a nasty habit of sometime being real tight when shifting out from reverse and can actualy snatch the level from my hand. I recall that when I got the first Caddy the box was OK before the rebuild. As both boxes have this same problem is it just that they need a fair time to wear in or do they need a readjustment or is it that they just can't get them as good as they were new????

Best Regards

CrestaMan

Most HydraMatics have a reverse blocker piston that physically prevents shifting to reverse if the car is moving more than a few mph forward or if engine speed is high enough to actuate its hydraulic circuit. It may be misadjusted.

Also check engine and transmission mounts. There's a similar thread in the Buick forums concerning Dynaflows doing the same thing.

I have driven both a 1950 Caddy 62 sedan and 61 coupe as everyday cars in the past. One thing I remember is if the engine idle was set too fast, shifting in & out of reverse would become more difficult. Also, while on a modern car one can be going forward a few miles per hour & shift into reverse, you cant do that with these early hydramatics. They simply were not designed for that.