Front shocks

Okay, I think I might do the front shocks sometime soon as one of my holiday gifts to myself tongue.gif" border="0. So, anyone here ever try the Monroe Load Leveler Limited Editions, Part# LE40263? PartsAmerica.com shows a picture of them , and they appear to have a coil spring that goes over them. I want to stiffen up the front end as much as possible. I already have Monroe air shocks in the rear. Any recomendations on these or should I just go with the SensaTracks. Thanks!<P>Zach

I have sensa-tracs on my 71 Riv. In addition to polyurethane swaybar bushings and endlinks along with 235/70 BFGoodrich radials made it safe to drive. Before I made those mods it had enough bodyroll to crush Washington.

Typically, load levelers are for the rear - though I can't say for certain there aren't any for the front. I agree with the previous post about going at this from the perspective of using newer material (polyurethane...) bushings, different tires, heavier sway bar (frt and rear) with polyurethane bushings there too, new coil springs (the old ones may be kinda tired...). Putting that much stress on the shock mounts might not be a good idea. Even using airshock at the rear or the load levelers in the rear, especially on cars, is not too terribly a good idea to increase your load over a long timeframe (though sometimes ok for short term usage that way) Shocks are used just to dampen the ride...not to help support the load. If anything...maybe use a higher dampening shock without the coilover springs if you didn't want to go the above route - though the higher dampengin shocks might just slow the roll a bit instead of eliminating it.

Thanks for the info so far. I guess I'll just go w/the Sensatracks. I used them all around when I had the '78 Impala, HD police in front, and they made the ride real nice. I don't use the air shocks for carrying heavy loads, but for more of just helping the springs restore original to slightly higher ride height. If you all remember, I had a big problem w/my poor tail pipe getting hit constantly on entrance ways to gas stations and the like...no more of that. I would love to get new springs and polyurethane bushings, but I cannot afford that kind of expense at the moment.

Just like the rest of us...with "can't do that right now....have other places for my money " grin.gif" border="0 Take it as you can. Even with what I said about airshocks, I did as you said with my wagon to get the rear end up to ride height.....though I say that with a caveat - it already had the airshocks on the car when I bought it. Used once in a while in that way, in a low load manner, airshocks are a good, cheap alternative...though I still will replace the rear springs on the wagon...as soon as I can get extra money too ! smile.gif" border="0

Okay, I got curious and had this feeling, so I went to PartAmerica.com, and added another vehicle to search for shocks, 1978 Chevy Impala. This was my previous car. Well, went to Shocks, and low and behold, it lists the same model no. monroe sensatrak, 5801, for the Impala that was also listed for the Electra. Now, below that, is the HD Polic/Taxi model which does not come up as an option under the Electra. If the both cars use the same normal shock, shouldn't I then be able to use the HD Police shocks for the Buick, too? My guess is that they don't come up under the Electra is because the Electra wasn't used for police work, so no one ever bothered to cross list it. What do you think?<P>Zach

I would not be suprised if they did fit. I have noticed that most suspension kit manufacturers group GM full-size RWD 71-89? the same. So I have always wondered.<P>Have you heard of some new shock that monroe developed that has valving that controls body roll without creating ride harshness. I'm thinking of looking into these for my 76 Delta 88.<P>Just curious does your Electra have the rear coils with the four arms two upper two lower?I'm wondering if the divisions used the same or different arms and bushings.

Ya, I think that those Police shocks should fit just fine. The only difference should be in the valving I would think. The best part is that they cost the same as the regular ones, $12.99 a piece. You can't beat that price!Those new Monroes are called Reflex, but from what I could find out, they seem to be making them only for new models cars and trucks right now. Not sure about the rear arms, do you mean four on each side, or four total. Looking at the Chassis Manual, it shows four total, two on each side; one upper and one lower cotrol arm.<P>One other thing, anyone know why rear sway/stabilizer bars weren't offered for Electras? The book shows that B and E bodies had it, but not the C's. I never understood that.<p>[ 12-07-2001: Message edited by: 73Electra 225 ]

Zack, I'm going to visit my friends at NAPA next Sat. morning and see what part #'s cross reference on these B and C bodys. I also have friend at salvage yard with interchange books. I want to get to the bottom of this myself. I think I can get front and rear grafite impregnated bushings as well as heavier stabilizers. My 88's dont have rear stabilizer either.<P>If those police car shocks are the same they would probably fit on mine also. I'll look into that as well.<P>Steve

I was thinking of taking the springs, sway bars and boxed control arms off of a Caprice police car or an Impala SS. All the parts books I have seen show the same parts for these cars. I looked at an Addco swaybar catalog and it listed the same sway bar for a '96 Impala SS as my 71 Riviera.<P>I forgot to mention... <BR>73 Electra 225, the parts for the sway bar bushings and endlinks can be bought at PepBoys for $20. They have endlinks and bushings for several different size swaybars. Just measure the diameter of your swaybar and the length of your endlinks and go buy them.<p>[ 12-15-2001: Message edited by: Tomsriv ]

Tom, so would a stabilizer bar from a Caprice fit an Electra then? I'll have to check myself, but anyone know if the holes for the bar bracket are drilled already in the lower control arms on Electras?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got the shocks, but upon opening the box I see they sent me Monroe Gas-Matics instead of Sensa-tracs. After emailing them, they replied that they had some conflicting info. on their system and would send me the Sensa-tracs at for the same price (reg. price is $26.99/each, compared to $12.99/each I paid, but I need to call them w/credit info, etc. Question: anyone know how much of a difference there is between Gas-Matics and Sensa-tracs? Part of me just wants to get the new stuff on, rather than have to wait a few more days, maybe longer, return the others,etc. Part of me is saying that the Gas-matics will still offer vast improvement over the old, worn shocks on there now, and I am really just itching to get some work done. I'm sure many of you know the feeling.<P>Zach

Well, I just went and put in the Gas-Matics. The old shock on the passenger side had a blown bushing and was completely dead. There is a definate improvement now in the ride and I can also say for sure that HD Police/Taxi shocks for Chevy B-bodies are direct bolt ins for my 225 and probably any '71-'88 GM B or C body.