Fuel Tank Sock

Anyone know where I can get one for my 71 Riviera? I pulled it off to help locate a fuel starvation problem. It had some tears in it and it was squished against a dent in the bottom of the tank. I'm running it without the sock right now, but if I have a problem I want to be able to locate a new one.<BR>Thanks in advance

Guest 70 Electra

TomsRiv,<BR>Don't know what the Riv sock looks like, but how about this...<P>A few years ago, I needed to replace the sock on the fuel sender of one of my Chevrolets of this vintage. Initially, I thought I would have to replace the entire sender unit, since the sock wasn't listed in the parts book separately.<P>When I went to a large local AC-Delco supplier, he told me the fuel socks were almost all the same, except for fuel line diameter, and showed me that GM still made a brand new replacement sock that was identical to the one I needed. <P>For my application, with a 5/16" fuel line on the sender, the sock was p/n 5651705. Only cost about $10. He also gave me the part number for the sock that's used with a sender that has a 3/8" fuel line: 5651702. (I have not verified this by purchasing one.)<P>I'm just guessing, but there's a good chance the socks are the same as those used on a Buick.<P>These socks rely on an interference fit on the fuel inlet pipe. Due to its delicate nature, you can't just "bang" it on. What I found worked good for temporarily reducing the tightness of the fit was to warm up the sock and place the sender in the freezer. Then, be prepared to push it all the way on in one attempt, as it ain't coming off!!<P>An added bonus of using the "new" sock instead of a NOS sender unit is that the "new" sock uses upgraded materials that are resistant to the alcohols and other crap in today's fuels---the original socks of that vintage were not.<P>Hope this helps.<P>Greg

The fuel pickup sock is more than just a strainer. The saran plastic it is made from acts as a molecular sieve and will not let water pass through it. If it is eliminated. the filter used to replace it has to have water separating capabilities. Otherwise, fuel system corrosion becomes a real problem, especially in areas with large swings in day and night temperature.

Darn....needed to talk to you guys about 3 years ago. We were working on my dads oldie, pulled the tank, and from your description, I believe it was the sock we cut off due to its being all crapped up. Just thought it was a type of filter in the tank, and never replaced it except for an inline fuel filter - didn't realize it filtered out moisture as well. Learn something new everyday......

So thats why my fuel gauge isn't working. The sock is for the sender also. Maybe next month I'll fix it. I'm just enjoying the fact that its running good right now.