"I Love Lucy" 1955 Pontiac Star Chief convertible

Centurion

My father-in-law, who spends winters in Arizona, mailed me a newspaper-type flyer on the Barrett-Jackson auction. A car that caught my attention was the "I Love Lucy" '55 Pontiac Star Chief convertible.

As a kid watching re-runs of the series during the late '50's and early '60's timeframe, my favorite episodes were those when Lucy, Ricky, Fred & Ethyl made the journey to California in that spectacular Pontiac convertible. I spent my earliest years in the backseat of my parents' '56 Chieftain 2-door Catalina, and the Pontiacs of '55 and '56 are among my all-time favorites. During recent years, my wife even surprised me with the cookie jar based on the "California, Here We Come" scene in the Pontiac convertible.

I had no idea that the actual Pontiac used in the series still exists, having never seen or read anything about the car. Does anyone know anything of its post-"I Love Lucy" history? Interestingly, the auction car picture shows the standard wheelcovers, and my recollection (not always accurate) is that the series car had the fancy wire wheel covers.

If anyone learns how the bidding on this car goes, I'll be eager to hear.

Here's the link to the car on Barrett-Jackson's website. The flyer makes it sound like this is the actual car used in the series. The language on the website is somewhat ambiguous when it says that this vehicle has been restored as the car used in the series' fourth season. Hmmm . . . wonder what the real story is here.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/events/scottsdale/vehicles/cardetail_list.asp?id=175262