no head lights

grm

Driving my 88 the other night i started to smell a burnt smell, it ended up being my head light switch. It also melted the connector wires (didn?t burn through) i replaced the switch but my headlights don?t raise or come on. The lights will raise and retract with switch on consol but headlights still won't come on. When i turn on the head light switch and use the hi /lo lever you hear the normal click but still no hi or low lights. Any subjections will be appreciated. grm

First thought is there is something wrong that caused the short or high current to destroy the switch. Do the parking lights work? The relay for the headlights is "E", it may be faulty, temperally use one of the other relays in the "E" position and determine if that solves the problem.

If a different relay does not work, using a test lamp or meter, probe terminal "1" of the relay socket to determine if you are getting 12v from the headlight switch. If you have voltage on "1", you can jumper to "3" (low beam) and "4" (high beam) to verify that you have good connections to the headlights.

After those test, let us know what happened. There is a strong possibility that your headlight door diode failed (this will keep the doors from opening from the headlight switch) It may also be where the current drain is happening.