ABS discovery

Ok i just read the ABS brake write-up on www.reatta.net and one on section it says that if you unplug the fluid reservoir sensor, turn on the engine and even tho the ABS lights comes on (it comes on plugged in or unplugged (yellow)) the diagnostic computer should still tell me there is a problem with the fluid levels. It doesnt, does this just mean i have a bad sensor and can it be replaced, if so how and how much and where from (the why,where,when factor). Thanks for putting up with me yall, i know i am a pain in the ass with all the questions, but if any of u have 280z or 300zx questions, just ask, lol.

Guest wally888

Don't know ans. to your question but fluid level warning is not associated w/ your yellow light. Yellow light is associated w/ Pressure Sensor, too little fluid pressure or a failure of an Anti lock component, not working, not passing the TEST given each time ignition is turned to run.

In these instances, component failure of anti-lock system, a code is set at ALDL and yellow light comes on, anti lock is disabled.

The warning(s) you should see on the touch screen , fluid level, etc. think there are 4,I don't have Teves anymore or Manual. These warnings are not processed as the things that turn on yellow light.

Low pressure will turn the red light on (boost circuit). This will also turn ABS off (yellow light on). If the yellow light only is on (and the red light is working) that means there is a problem detected by the ABS and can be read by jumpering (I think somebody correct if rong) A to M on the ALDL (will have to remove cover that says "do not remove") and count the flashes of the yellow light.

See section 8A-44 of the factory service manual for wiring. Level switch goes to BCM not ABS module. You also read diagnostics differently - see FSM.

Note: since the FSM is available on line, you need the sections 8A and 5E for the TEVES. There is no better manual.

i am only getting yellow ABS light, i hope thats not as serious as a yellow light. lol How do you check these codes ADCL codes or whatever they are?

Guest wally888

Harry,

The Pressure Sensor has several functions/circuits.

One turns pump on and off

One turns yellow light on (if pressure keeps dropping) then turns red light on.

A PRESSURE SENSOR (reads the fluid pressure and starts and stops pump by sending an electrical signal through the Pump Relay to the PUMP). This is similar to a gage with a switch. Also turns red and yellow lights on and off, and sends a signal to BCM to enable or disable Antilock. This Sensor has three electrical circuits, each could fail separately.

When the key is turned to the on or start position, the pump starts to run. It.s sound is audible from under the hood, forward of the steering wheel. During this time, the red and yellow lights are on. When the PUMP provides about 1800 psi, the Pressure Sensor turns the Red light out. The Yellow light will extinguish when proper pressure is present and the EBCM has transmitted an O. K. signal to the BCM. However, the pump continues to run till about 2600 psi and Accumulator is fully charged.

Yellow (Amber) Light can be actuated by a Low Reservoir Level! I struggled with this phenomenon when I first got my Reatta.

What makes this diagnosis difficult is the level sensors in the reservoir are NOT detected by the ADL.

There are actually 2 level switches in the reservoir, one switch opens to alarm and one closes to alarm, both are integrated into one connector. The Factory Service Manual identifies these contacts and a paper clip jumper across the ?opens to alarm? contacts satisfies the amber light and allows you to determine if reservoir level is the cause of the Yellow Light.

In summary, with the reservoir connector unplugged and a paper clip inserted in the plug across the ?opens to alarm? contacts. The Yellow Light should go away (If the cause is low Level)

If the Yellow Light is still lit, the code is most likely captured in the ADL

Good Luck!!