flushing of cooling system

caf

i used some stuff i got down at autozone "their brand" cooling system flush. my car had not been flushed in over 40 years. it took two bottles to get the results i wanted but worked great. a thing to keep in mind is how old your radiator is, if its real old and kind of iffy you may not want to use a chemical solvent as it may finish your radiator off. i flushed the system on my 52 packard just after i had the radiator recored and saw a drop of 20F right away. my dad always swore about using vineger but i was not brave enough to try something like that after spending 450 on the radiator. i have sence heard of people using CLR in small amounts as it acts as a decalcifier.

just my 2 cents

tom

After only marginal improvement flushing with a commercial product a couple of years ago, I tried "Simply Green". The bottle claims to clean everything. I start slow just a 1/2 cup with the rest water in the radiator. I then ran my Crosley till it was up to operating temperatures and flushed. Lots of crude came out. I did this 4 time increasing the amount of Simply Green till the last time I was up to about a quart. This is a small radiator, only 4 quarts, so you might have to scale up the amount. After the last time it ran out clean and when you looked in the radiator it looked nice and clean. Took a long time to flush all the suds out each time, I flushed while it was running. The Crosley ran cooler than it had for years.

Simply Green should be pretty kind to an old raditor.

i dont know how far you have been sence the post but i found the bottle of the radiator flush i used its zerex radiator super flush. i either got it at autozone or parts america, it was cheap and it worked good. i had to rinse out the cooling system about 10 times afterward till the water ran clear but lots of crud came with it.