tail lense problems anyone

86 2dr.ltd

This is something that really aggrevates me. A little off topic as it mainly concernes my Oldsmobiles.<P>I need lenses there are none to be found. I want new ones not dried hard in the sun old ones.<P>I also just called Buick for 1986 Riviera lenses and they are discontinued.Soon all yards are going to crush what they have from the 80's then these will be gone - if the yard help didnt already polish them.<P>I can see if the manufactures stop making quarter panels or doors or hoods. To park a car because of a pettie 5 ounce piece of red plastic really gets me RED.<P>Question: Are there other cars of readers out there that this problem has poped up? Is there a solution I do not know of? How hard would it be to duplicate lenses?

You and Many other people are going to find this out, one to three years after production the parts are discontinued and none will be available. Try finding NOS parts for a 1980 vehicle and newer,There are more 50's and 60 's NOS parts around now . Best advice is to get to know your local Buick parts mgr, and have him do a country wide search. Search E-Bay, and other Internet forms.<P>Jim Schilf / palbuick@aol.com

I learned this with an RX-7 I used to have. Pretty much like you said, 4 years after production they stopped the presses on everything. It stands to reason though, cars today are essentially disposable -a little bit longer life than say, a Bic lighter, but the principle stil applies. What do you expect car companies to do when most people keep their cars for 3-4 years max? It's also one reason I started looking at older cars.

Guest Buicklover

86 2dr.ltd,<BR>I have access to a pretty good parts locator database. If you supply the lens part#'s that you are looking for, I might be able to come up with sources for them. One may be located at a parts depot in the Northern USA, one in Southern USA, etc. <BR>If I get a hit on the part# you need, I'll forward the information to you & you can call them. <BR>I just recently located a new air scoop that goes behind the lower air dam on my '83 Riv.There were only 3 listed as "in stock" left in the USA. I called the parts source, & it was delivered to my door the next week <BR>Bill R.<BR>BCA# 12434<BR>ROA# 7997

I found 86 Riviera lenses on E-bay and they are coming in mail.<BR>I also found 75-76 Delta 88 lenses on E-bay same week and they are coming in mail.<BR>Unfortunatly I have 2 - a 75 conv. and a 76 coupe and the morning after I was awarded the winning bid on E-bay I backed the 76 into a stack of boards I had set up(just perfect) on a crate and couldnt see with the morning dew on the windows.Duh!!!The lense I broke was the same as the one that has a ugly patch repair on the conv.I feel really guilty towards the 2 other bidders I beat on E-Bay as I am apparently unworthy.At anyrate I am once again one lense short or is that one card?<P>The lense #'s are 5966405<BR> 5966406<P>I already tried parts locator and had a GM classic parts dealer do a search but if someone else comes up with something I would be grateful and more careful.<P>The thing with these lenses are they are quite vulnerable and there are none out there because of this.That means they have sold. The GM dealers book showed they were discontinued in 91.Now they are sold out so the demand is there.<P>Sorry to have come to Buick site with question - but full size Buick , Olds is what I'm into with a Chrysler on the side. Does any one know of a site that does full size Oldsmobile? I only know of 442.com.<P>This BCA - Collectable auto disc. forum is commendable, but then we all know that!

You didn't mention what side you need but if it's the left (drivers) side I'll look in my storeroom. Years ago I had a '76 Delta coupe and bought a pair of tail lights when I needed a right side. Henry.<BR>henry_polastry@altavista.com

Guest John Chapman

BigRed...<P>Your comment about modern cars having the life expectancy of a Bic lighter made me curious... so I went and looked it up and it verified my hunch. In fact, the average age of automobiles in service has been steadily climbing for decades. In 1970, the average auto was 5.6 years old, by 1999, it was 8.9 years. While this speaks directly to the improved overall quality AND the fact that people maintain these more expensive cars better, what we frequently overlook is that if your average 1955 car had 75K miles on it, there was a good chance that it was about done... or at least in line for valve and rings. In contrast, my 1995 Camry has 102K miles on it, and compression is only down by two pounds per cylinder. I think I'll keep it a while longer....<P>While I can't speak specifically to the RX-7 situation, the local Mazda dealer still either stocks or can readily get spares for my '87 B2000. I know that Mazda was loosing a fortune on the RX7 and parts were a problem even when new, not to mention competent maintenance technicians... especially for the turbo models. I don't think it's a written rule, but in general, manufacturers support their products for ten years. I doubt that would cover every part and there are bound to be hicups. And in many cases it goes longer. There's a guy down the street from me that is just now having problems getting maintenance parts from the Chevy dealer for his 1966 Nova... but, if you've got a '66 Studebaker, the situation is probably different... wink.gif" border="0 <P>Cheers,<BR>JMC

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

I have had good luck with the parts I have bought from Fusick Olds. Their phone is 800-623-1583.<P>The sell all kinds of Oldsmobile parts, both new, used, and reproduction. I would think if the do not have the lenses you are looking for, they may be able to direct you.<P>Scott Mich BCA # 6619<BR>Assistant Director<BR>Chicagoland Chapter<BR>1955-76C<BR>1959 Olds SS-88

66400 drivers side is the one.Did you like your 76? Seems like a nice ride though mines not perfect needs something up front and shocks wouldnt hurt. Interior is perfect - thats 90,000 miles perfect. Handsome car I think.<P>Improved over-all quality has givin higher milage vehicals.<P>A tail lense is a tail lense and can be broken easily in a parking lot by someone else or a fool in his own driveway. Doesnt matter if the vehical is 5 yrs old or 25 yrs old and these manufacturers need to keep the things commonly broke available to the public. I feel for lenses of any sort there is no excuse to have them unavailable.Some years they are all that is changed. They are necessary for inspection and safe driving in general.<P>Steel can be straightened and fabricated.Chrome - rechromed. Engines and transmissions rebuilt. Seats recovered. <P>Lenses need to be made with a mold and the original manufacturers are the ones who have them.<P>I am wondering if somewhere in this country there is a box of these things thats just not made it to the computerized inventory.

Guest Buicklover

86 2dr.ltd...<BR>I ran those 2 part #'s thru the parts locator database, & got a hit on the 5966405 lens.<BR>Shows a qty of 1 @ <BR>Dan's Obsolete GMParts<BR>Chinook, MT<BR>1-800-472-4402<BR>Give them a call<BR>Bill R.<BR>BCA# 12434<BR>ROA# 7997

Bringing this back up<P>Still wondering if any one else has had this problem with other model cars.<P>Or if anyone has a source I do not know of.<P>I would really like to find away to get some of the needed ones remanufactured. Or after marketed. So thats why I would like to know if there are other models with this availability problem.<P>I've crazy glued the broken one back together and found out I did pick up most of the pieces. I'm working on a red dyed epoxy to fill the few small holes. I'm not sure if epoxy will take the heat.<P>Any other ideas?

As 86 2dr ltd probably know this is a huge problem for the Lesabre T-types. Many parts can be found on no other car. And the junk yard crush them. Sure there are tuns of Lesabre's out there, they sold 100,000 a year. But there are very few two doors and fewer yet T-types. But they crush them because to them it's just another Lesabre. It drives me nuts. Alot of good parts are crushed every day, that someone will pay good money for. If only the yards knew this.