64 electra 225 need to know about it

1.what engine is it ? says 445 wildcat 401 425

2.it is a 6 window no post

3. parts needed. it only needs the light lens over the glove box and button for power antenna

4.it needs to be painted and upholestry done

5.should i take it back to original or customize paint and interior

thanks for any help

These are very beautiful, elegant cars. My vote and very strong encouragement would be to restore it to original condition. You've come to the right place for technical help and information about resources.

The Wildcat 445 engine is the standard equipment 401-cid V8.

Check out the '64 Electra 225's in the old Bette Davis film, "Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte".

Just a note on the "445 Wildcat" designation. It refers to engine torque, which is VERY healthy (today's wimpy cars get all kinds of press for producing over 300 foot pounds of torque, and rarely surpass 250.) Good torque is the reason the old Buicks don't feel as heavy as they are when you hit the gas.

You noted two other numbers, 401 (which as noted above is the standard displacement engine) and 425. There was a 425 cubic inch displacement engine option. If yours is the original engine and air cleaner cover and it says "445", it should be the 401 engine. My 1965 Electra was equipped this way, and it was a very reliable, smooth riding car.

As if these aren't enough numbers, you will see people referring to 455 (four five five) Buick engines, which are a different design that came out later and had a dispacement of 455 cubic inches. In earlier years, Buick "advertised" the torque of their engines, which is unusual. In later years, they referred to the cubic inch displacement as most manufacturers do.

Now I need some enlightenment-- What did the designation 225 stand for?????

Guy, the first Electra 225 appeared in 1959, and it was so named because the car was approximately 225 inches long. This was five inches longer than the standard Electra series cars. The standard Electra series disappeared after 1961, and all Electras were designated as the "Electra 225".

Centurion,

Oh yeah! I think I remember hearing that somewhere. I wonder how many years Buick stuck to the 225-inch length, that is, if all Buicks so designated actually are that long? Anyway, "Deuce-and-a-Quarter" has found its way into popular lore, including songs, so its place in history is pretty much assured alongside 88 and 409 etc.

It would be fun to put together a list of "numbered" car models and how they got their designations.

I'll add this one, (which everybody probably already knows):

The Olds 442 was a designation derived from the cars 4 barrel carb, 4 speed transmission, and dual exhaust.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

"Deuce-and-a-Quarter" has found its way into popular lore</div></div>

and don't forget "2,2-bits" smirk.gif