6 volt alternator

Guest tin knocker

Guest tin knocker

The voltage regulator on my 37 Special seems to have decided to retire. New regulators for this model are hard to find and somewhat expensive. Would I be better off to replace the generator with a 6 volt alternator which has a built in regulator? The car is driven often and an improvement in battery charging would also be nice. If anyone has gone this route or has an opinion on this I would be glad to hear about it.

You could use a generator from a 40-48,Put a spacer at the back bolt to accomodate the inch longer unit.Use a 201 0r a 301 regulator,then use the "A" terminal to the starter relay (along with the usual wire that goes to it) Wire it up just like the 40-up,because that is what you have.I have sold close to 300 6 alternators,they work very well too.

I put a 6 volt alt on my 30 Pontiac about 80,000 miles ago. Have had no trouble whatsoever Of course I was replacing a 3 brush type generator that didn't have enough output for wintertime night driving. I have never regretted the change.

Any reliable auto electric rebuilder can make you a 6 volt alternator. Just tell him what you are putting it on. In my case because I didn't originaly have a regulator and only one wire connection my local rebuilder made me a 50 amp single wire 6 volt alternator. The only thing is I have to get up to 10 mph in first once so that it will cut in and then it is all fine until the engine is turned off. Apparently a two wire one would not need this but I wanted to make it easy to swap back to my original if I wanted to show my car.

You can modify a 70’s GM 12volt altenator inside to a 6-volt system and use the internal regulator. I’ve seen one done and a good electrial shop should be able to do this, I am trying to get detailed information on how to do this, I know it can be done wink.gif" border="0

Get a new regulator marked"SE6V' which means 'Self-energizing,6 Volt" Make sure the rotor has not been ground down(often done by a rebuilder).Check air-gap between rotor and stator with a feeler gauge.Mix and match until you come up with the smallest air-gap you can,(hopefully about .030.in) With the engine running, insert a hot wire through the bridge to contact a phase lead,and there you go.It might be necessary to nudge the throttle each time you start the car to energize<BR>the "SE"regulator.I have sold about 250 SE units with very good results