Strut/Shock replacement

BBurk

My recently acquired '91 convertible needs new struts/shocks. Any feedback in regards to Delco replacements vs. Monroe Sensatracs? The price is about the same so it really comes down to peformance characteristics.

Thank you for your feedback.

Guest Greg Ross

Can't comment on the Delco OEM Struts (who makes them?) I went through the episode of having SensaTracs put on last Spring, and then getting the Dealer to replace them with MunroMatics for more stiffness. The SensaTracks were like manouvering Marshmellows, soft and not at all shure footed. I'd had SensaTracks installed in about 1997 and they were, at least at that time a firm stiff ride-What changed-have no idea!

What are you looking for, Big Car soft ride, go with the SensaTracks.

Anyone else familiar with the Delco parts?

Thanks GM Ross for your reply. In regards to the Delco OEM struts I was told that Gabriel supplies them to GM. But not sure if it's true but I am also going to find out what Gabriel struts sell for. Interestingly, my previous experience with SensaTracs is they were a bit stiff.

Any feedback on Gabriel struts would be appreciated

Thank you.

I got a set of Gabriels for the front about a month ago and one of them is completely shot already - all the oil has blown out of it and the car is now not even driveable. BUT, I did get them at AutoZone which is the king aftermarket store of selling defective, second hand, QC rejectable, knockoff garbage. I've since ordered a pair from GMPartsdirect.com and they were only $15 more I believe and they have the correct torx socket on the end of the rod. So if Gabriel supplies ACDelco then they supply them with something completely different than the aftermarket.

Also, on a side note, I ordered rear struts from GMPartsdirect.com as well and they told me the correct # for the rear was 88945838. This is not correct!!! Apparently there was some sort of change that never went to production on the Reatta and the correct # should be 22064129. They did however admit thier mistake and handle the return very professionally.