64 Wildcat Dash Disassembly Problems

I am in the process of reducing my 64 Wildcat convertible to frame off. I am having GREAT difficulty with the dash face plates - removal.

I have broken a few items to the point where I will need to replace parts such as the speedomter needle shaft (broken) I have a workshop manual and I am a mechanic but the diagram drawings in the manual are not a lot of help.

Even though I will need to replace the instrument cluster for a lot of reasons (broken parts, pitting on chrome, etc. I would like to not rip the thing out. For instance, the center radio panel appears to need removed FIRST before you can get the 2 panels to either side out. It appears to lay over the panels. So, I have loosened the ashtray assembly but it just won't come out completely. I have removed radio knobs but the right hand knob has wiring to it (rheostat like) and I have tried to pry it off but no luck.

Any help with this project would be appreciated.

Bryan

Bryan, I just took the dash out of my 63 Wildcat and they are the same as far as mounting. The chrome trim painted black (with the ignition / wiper / vent / etc. ) in the middle holds the dash parts on. I believe they are 3/8 speed nuts. My advantage is mine were messed up and I bought replacements before taking the dash out, therefore knowing where the nuts were located. You have to take the ashtray out first. Also the rheostat on the knob is the fader wire. Mine didn't have that, it had already been rigged by a high school shop class. Gimme a hollar if you need more info.

Mike