Brake and shock questions about my 1955 Buick.

ThomasBorchers

Hello.<BR>Since two weeks I own a 1955 Buick Century. First question is how and where I can check/refill the oil level in the rear shocks. <BR>The 2nd thing is about the brakes. The previous owner changed the standard brakes to power brakes because he mean that it is too hard to stop the car with the normal brakes. Bad thing is that they used a modern power brake booster and they attached it in the area behind the front seat. Since it is not possible to refill brake fluid because I can’t open the reservoir direct under the body, I would like to change it again to standard or power brakes. The problem is that I have no idea where the original place of the master cylinder was and where the original brake lines were. Has someone a photo of this area or a drawing from a shop manual? Until know I don’t own a shop manual for this car. Can I see it there?<BR>Thanks for your help.<P>Tom

Cheers Thomas...congrats on your new baby.<P>i can get you started with the rear shocks (assuming you still have the orginal shocks for the rear-mounted on inside of wheels). I just refilled mine. You should see 2 or 4 screws (can't remember how many) which hold the top plate in place. There is a filler plug, but the opening is so small you'll end up wasting most of your fluid just getting it in there.<P>Remove the shock from the wheel and clean her up real good, that's what i did. Working on the bench, you can see down inside too, make sure the mechanism works. So I found taking the top off and poured in fthe fluid that way more beneficial. While you have the top off, check the gasket and replace if needed. This was the reason my fluid leaked out and was bouncing all over like a mexican jumping bean.<P>Good luck!

Hi Ken.<BR>Yes, I have the original shocks as you wrote. I am not sure if the shocks work correct but the car drives not bad (not like that bean...) I found out that the rear end ist a bit soft, I mean. I had in the trunk around 90 lbs of water and a full gas tank. The back was low I must say. <BR>Seems that I should remove the shocks and inspect it.<BR>Thanks<P>Tom

Hi Tom<BR>The shocks are filled as Old Guy stated through the hole in the top with the square plug...use hydraulic jack oil. If the fluid level was very low leaks will not be apparent until after you fill the units. About the car sagging with weight in the trunk this is due to the 46 year old coil springs getting tired...shocks will not affect ride height, just bounce.<BR>About the brakes: the original manual brake master cylinder was directly below the driver's side floor and filled through a hole in the floor (with a cover plug) after you removed the sill plate and turned back the carpet and padding; the original power brake master cylinder was in a similar location but was filled from under the hood next to the steering column. No telling what was changed when the brake system was modified so you will either have to keep what you have working or get a complete manual system from a parts car: including all of the linkage and near by brake lines...check with Ken at Wheatbelt.<BR>Willie

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

Thomas,<P>When refilling the shocks this is what you should do. <P>Make sure the car was driven to warm up the innards of the shocks.<P>Jack up the rear of the car, and clean off the top of the shock boxes. You can use an old squeeze ketchup bottle, or a turkey baster. I would NOT take the tops of the shocks off, as you may be looking for trouble that way.<P>Disconnect the shock lever from the linkage.<BR>The reason for this is twofold. Take the filler plug off and move the shock lever up and down to get the fluid equalized, etc.<P>Fill the shock up with hydraulic jack oil, when the lever is in the middle postion, just about to under 1/4" from the top. You can check this with a baggie tie or a toothpick.<P>One of the ways to see if the shock is working properly, is to move the lever up and down. The resistance should be the same. If it is not, it most likely needs replacing.<P>They are readily avaiable inthe US if you need to replace them.<P>But clean them off, fill them up, put the top back on, move the levers up and back, and then reconnect them. <P>Check for leaking, if the ride does not improve , replace them as well as the shock links.<P>My ride height raised when I changed my shocks.<P>The power brake units are also available here. I checked my Shop Manual..., there are pictures of the unit, but it does not show the unit on the car.<P>If you are going to put one in, I can take pictures of mine for you. It mounts just about under the driver's seat slightly to the right of the left frame rail. The unit is about 18" long, with a long shaft going forward, connecting to the brake pedal.<P>Scott Mich BCA # 6619<BR>Assistant Director<BR>Chicagoland Chapter<BR>1955-76C<BR>1959 Olds SS-88<BR>1986 Century

Thanks you all.<BR>I will check this out with the shocks and understand the problem with the softer springs after the years. I guessed this.<BR>I found out that the body has a hole in the floor with a cover. I also found a reservoir next to the steering column in the engine room like my 1956 had. So perhabs this indicates that the car had power brakes as it was new. But I can't find the vacuum reserve tank. Perhaps it was removed. I know this tank from my '56. So if I decide to order a power brake system, I need also this tank but it seems that it is a hard to find item. So now I am thinking about what I should do. Convert it to standard brakes or power brakes. <P>Tom

Guest Shaffer

My grandfather has a 1955 Buick Special Riviera 4-door hardtop sedan as well and I assume he needs to put fluid in the shocks, as the car is bouncy and it bottoms out at times. Do you use hydraulic fluid or what? His has factory power brakes. I think the booster is located under the driver floor panel. Not sure. <P>Tony<BR>----------<BR>1972 Buick Electra 225 Custom 4-door hardtop sedan (FOR SALE)<BR>1989 Pontiac Safari 4-door 9-passenger stationwagon<BR>1991 Honda Accord LX 4-door sedan<P>*(1984-1985 Mercedes 500 SEL or 1990-1993 Lexus LS 400 or 1990-1993 Toyota 4-Runner - next car(s) I hope)*<P>[ 10-12-2001: Message edited by: Shaffer ]<p>[ 10-12-2001: Message edited by: Shaffer ]

Geez it seems everyone comes out of the work when I am away...oh well....Brakes...I got a 55 with p/b and I have the reservoir and the line that runs from it to the master cyl. if you are in need. <BR> I got P/B booster problems....SEVERE touchiness...if you are unaware of the issue and try to stop normally either way, you will eat the steering wheel or end up in the back seat...Master works fine with power assist undone. <BR> As to the shocks, undo the shocks from the backing plate after cleaning the crud off the top. Undo the lid and use a baby bottle....a dolls baby bottle(tiny nipple that fits in hole). Addd a bit and cycle the shock thru its travel as it works oil into all the pertinent areas, check and add as needed and reattach to the backing plate adfter putting tiny cover back in smile.gif" border="0<P> If you are in need of the P/B stuff I got, drop me an email dlw29@hotmail.com<P><BR> don55