1950 Rear axle

The Old Guy

You can interchange the pumpkin on all the rear ends from 37 to 54 with no problems. I am not sure about 54 and 55. I was told that it will fit but you need the 54-55 cover. The biggest problem that I had was seperating the drive shaft from the pinion gear. The shop manuel said that the drive shaft would have to straightened to run true after the operation and they were correct. I could not do it and found a drive line shop that alligned it for me.

I have looked trough the post topics and a found one were i says that the rear axle differentials are the same from 1940 to 1955.<P>Does that mean that i can take a rear axle from a 1955 and put it on a 1950? Width?<P>Or do i take The differential(1955) and put it in the 1950 housing?<P>Thanks!<P> buick1950@bredband.net confused.gif" border="0

Mats, I have a 3.42 gearset from a 1955 Buick, but you also need the carrier (the cast iron center section) from a 1954-55 Buick as well (which I don't have). The 1955 gearset won't fit your 1950 carrier. I also have new pinion bearings if you are interested.