Steering column is in the way!

51 Dodge

Just bought a 51 Dodge Meadowbrook sedan, the flathead 6 has been scrapped and I have a perfectly good V8 sitting in my garage. Unfortunately the steering column runs through the middle of where the new wider engine will be. The old drum brakes are not functional and I'd like to upgrade to disc brakes as well. Any ideas on how to marry a new front end/steering column of a "modern" car to an old car? I'm not at all concerned about keeping anything inside the body original.

Jeff

Guest DeSoto Frank

I would suggest visiting the discussion forum at "www.P15-D24.com"...this is the web-site for '46-'48 Dodge & Plymouth enthusiasts, but other years & makes of MoPar are discussed on the forum.

There are guys who have/are done/doing "enhancements" as you describe...I'm sure they would be happy to share the benefits of their hard-earned knowledge with you...

Why not see if you can find an old Dodge V-8 to go in there? They introduced the 241 cid Hemi into the Dodge for '53; perhaps steering gear from a '53 V-8 could be transplanted into your '51.

Another thought would be to have the existing column modified so that from the toe-board up to the wheel, all is stock '51 Dodge, but below decks, the shaft/column jacket are cut, a lower bearing installed in the column, and a u-joint/ rag joint installed to permit installation of a modern steering gear...

I don't know what your ultimate goal for the car is, but if you're building a "resto-rod", is is nice to be able to keep original interior features like dash, steering wheel & column, etc...just my thoughts there...I've seen some nice original interiors "spoiled" by a very modern steering column and wheel interjected...

that is a good point. Keeping a car mechanically original is not written in stone, but changing out the interior appointments, at least to this person, looks odd...out of place. There was a 1947 Cadillac 6269 sedan, like mine, out on eBay :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...p;category=6152

I got very excited to FINALLY see one for sale! Until I saw what they had done to it. Exterior is fine (modern radials always look a little small for the car) but the interior...oh god no. Please take a look. If this is OK, then I (for what it is worth) support you completely in your choice.

steering column. figure out where to start( the steering box) and work your way back using 1" wooden dowel or pvc pipe. go as far as you can until you need a joint and mock the joint by using duct tape. cut the dowel(pipe) and put in the duct tape to go aorund your obstructio(s) if possible. Then use your mock up to determine supplies needed. Keep in mind Whenever a steering system contains either three joints, a double universal joint or vibration dampener, a support bearing is necessary: Try not to exceed 30 degrees per joint(actually less around 15 to 20 would be better but sometimes hard to do. Then go to this site and start surfing around it and learn. confused.gifgrin.gifhttp://www.flaming-river.com/