Need Advice

I have a 1996 Buick Park Avenue, Arctic white. Can anyone tell me if this color is clearcoated? A parking lot pig put something on the trunk lid then dragged it off leaving several surface scratches about a foot long (not through the paint). I'd like to buff them out but am not sure how to go about it if it's clearcoated. Thanks.

Mernon, in all likelihood it is clearcoated, but to be sure look in the trunk. Some where there should be a white sticker. It may be on the underside of the trunklid, on top of the spare tire cover if the spare tire fits in a well on the trunk floor or maybe even attached to the underside of the carpet. The white sticker lists all of the option codes for the car. At the bottom of the list there should be a code that reads "BC/CC". That means "Basecoat/Clearcoat".

Thanks Tom & Diz - I'll try the label/fingernail approach & see what happens. I just bought this car a week ago to replace my 1979 Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith II (which now lives in NYC) At 72, and at 125,000 miles and over two decades, I couldn't risk the eventual $20,000+ engine rebuild, so settled for a 'grandpa' car. I AM a grandpa - so sue me! So far the Buick is nice - not great - but very quiet and mannerly. As a RR addict for nearly 60 years, one makes comparisons, but I have to say the Buick is nearly as quiet as the Rolls, and IT DOESN'T HAVE LUCAS ELECTRICS!! The seamless shifts are awesome. I think the parking lot thing was just pig-like inconsideration or perhaps envy (I keep my cars spotless and gleaming). Another thing that amazed me about this car was the 31.4mpg I got driving it home from Santa Rosa to the Eureka area (CA), a lot of it uphill (the RR got 9mpg on a good day with a following wind!). Very impressed with the quick & friendly responses on this forum, and will visit often. If anyone has advice or hints to impart about this particular model, will be most grateful (I'm religious about maintenance & don't cut corners). As an indication of 'late-life crisis', I'm putting my collection of RR & Bentley stuff, going back to 1948, on the block. It should just about pay for the Buick!! I think it's called burning bridges. Cheers to all. Mernon