72/73 Electra grilles

Guest Shaffer

Guest Shaffer

Hello. This question is about grilles. My 72 Electra has a heavy metal grill. Did the 73's have this metal grill, or did it switch to the plastic grill. 73Electra - you out there. I know you can help me on this question. Also, I used to own a 72 Cadillac Sedan DeVille (same body as a Electra (slightly longer), but if I remember correctly, I think it had a plastic grille. Odd considering it was a higher end-model. Guess it was heavy enough and they tried to cut weight. I know the 71-72 Chevrolet Caprices had a plastic grille. NOt sure about the grille on a 72 Olds Ninety-Eight or the 72 Grand Ville. Thanks in advance. <P>Tony<BR>------------<BR>72 Electra<BR>89 Safari<BR>91 Accord<p>[ 09-06-2001: Message edited by: Shaffer ]

Guest Shaffer

I assume that by 1973 all cars had a plastic grill. I know that the 1971 Oldsmobile Toronados had die-cast grills, 72 may have had as well. I think that only Buick and Oldsmobile had the die-cast grilles by 1972. The 1972 Buick Skylarks had die-cast grills as well. My grandfathers old 72 Skylark Custom had that heavy grill. Lincoln and Cadillac had plastic grilles in 1972. Not sure about the 72 full-size Pontiacs. I think thay are plastic as well, as I looked at one recently, but did not look closely at the grill. Anyone know about these?

Some Buicks had steel grilles beyond 72.<BR>I believe that the 73-4 Regal, 73-4-5 Riviera & 73 Le Sabre/Centurion all had metal grilles. You sure about the 73 Electra Shaffer ??? Could've sworn that one was metal !

Guest Shaffer

I don't know if it was plastic or not. "The Old Guy" posted that they was plastic in 73. I was wondering the same thing. There is a few people here that has 73 Electras. Hopefully they will clarify this.

And the answer is... I think both. The main upper grill is metal. The smaller lower grill, though, I think may be plastic. I was busy doing other stuff to the car today and just quickly looked at the grills, but the top one definetly is metal.<P>Zach