Ball Studs & Hydralic Lifters & Oil

Bill Stoneberg

Looking at the 1950 Shop manual and then looking at my Engine. Something doesn't match. According to the shop manual the ball studs that are used for adjusting the valves is supposed to have a hole down the center for oil to go to the pushrod that also has a hole in the center. This is to keep oil to the lifters so they can stay pumped up.<P>My ball studs have no holes and I have looked at another original 1950 engine and it has none either.<P>So how does oil get to the top of the pushrods or down to the lifters to keep them pumped up ?<P>Is my manual (GM original) wrong ?

The 51 book says the same thing and it just can not work like that!! The oil to the overhead is metered by the fitting in the head,and there is no way enough oil can be fed to the overhead to feed the lifters.most engines with hydraulic lifters have a passage that feeds the lifter. I have not had a hydrauliclifter engine apart in 20 years ,and I just don't remember. The push rods are hollow and have no holes on either end ,so the oil can not flow down them. frown.gif" border="0frown.gif" border="0frown.gif" border="0