Friends of W.E. "Ohly" Ohlendorf

Steve Moskowitz

It is with deep sadness that I make this post. "Ohly" Olendorf, long time AACA member and the founder of Ohlendorf Restorations passed away last night. Ohly and his son, Tim, have been responsible for numerous AACA award wiinning restorations. Ohly was a great fan of touring and could be seen over the years in his big 1912 Locomobile. A great guy and a friend to anyone in the hobby. It is a tragic loss for all of us that knew him. Hack's Funeral Home. Beecher, Illinois. Visitation 9/24 2-8, Funeral 9/25 11:00 am

That is truly sad news, a friend had several cars done over at Ohllie's shop and on a few rare visits I was impressed with their workmanship. I recall a 32 Chevy 2 door body done in dark blue that was so flawless not a wave was present to disturb the luster of the doors and fixed panels, a tough achievement on a 50 year old body.

A pretty nice guy besides good work ethics, I guess they go hand in hand. Stude8

Thanks guys, Ohlly was one of the true pioneers in the hobby and his friends will sorely miss him. Today, at the AACA headquarters, we found some copies of the issue in 1974 that had his '25 Packard roadster on the cover. Ohlly was not much for showing but he sure drove the heck out of his cars. He made tours all over the US and always could be counted on to give a guy a hand. His love for cars and the hobby is legendary which is appropriate for someone who is a legend himself.

In 1971 he took me under his wing and started me in the hobby. He mentored me over the years and I always gleaned some sage advice from him, which he was quick to give! I know death is enevitable but we keep losing so many treasures that are irreplaceable. When they say, "they don't make them like that, anymore" they well could be referring to my friend, "Mr. Locomobile".