"nail heads" and the origin of the name...

So Judy and I are at a cruise night last night and the fellow walks up and asks her if her '66 Skylark 300 is a "nail head".<BR>She doesn't know the term so asks (silly girl) what's a nail head and what's it mean?<P>Guy proceeds to tell her that it's cause "way back when" in the olden days when valve got stuck in the Buicks the owner could remove the valve cover and hit the valve/spring combination with a hammer (hence NAIL head) and free it up.<P>How do these stories get started?<P>*I* thought it was cause the earlier Buick "valve in head" engines used such small valves that resembled nails.<P>N'est ce pas?<P>Jim

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

I have heard the head orientation story, but I was corrected by Bill Wildt of Motorsports Unlimited. (Cable TV Show)<P>He stated that they derived their name because of their small size, that they looked like nails.<P>Scott Mich

TOG and YL,<BR>Thanks for the replies. <P>YL, I had rather thought that it was the larger blocks rather than ours.<P>I still loved the story the guy told Judy though.<P>Shows to go you.<P>btw,<BR>at a cruise night the other week I had an 'expert' tell me that my RoadRunner wasn't a RoadRunner since (in 1973) they "didn't use that body style". <P>Live and learn.<P>Jim

Guest Skyking

I was always under the impression that all Buick engines with the valve covers in the vertical position were nailheads. From 1953 to 1966. That leaves 340s out because the valve covers or heads are on an angel.......