trans wont up shift until car is up to operating temp...

Guest spongebob

Guest spongebob

this happeneds about one out of three times i drive the car..the fluid(trans) is flush..temp gauge says engine is up to temp. i can let off the throttle(thinking its a vacume thing), but it still dosnt shift. i had changed the fluid and filter a month or so ago..i used valvoline durablend ATF..

and like i said in my original post, it goes to "normal" in a bit..this dosnt happen when the car has been driven, only at start up the first drive of the day..i dont drive the car daily...ALSO, i believe theres a recall for a cable on the trans????

You mean it stays in first gear ? Have you taken it to red line (I know) - at WOT the first->second shift is not until around 45 mph so if it "thinks" you have it floored (TV cable/modulator) it won't shift until then. Check for a tight cable coming off the throttle shaft.

I had a problem like this in my 69 El Camino. The TH350 progressivly slipped the clutch pack going to second gear until it would no longer hookup. My understanding is that the clutch wear had exceeded the hydraulic actuators throw. I think some of the old powerglides had adjusters that could be tightened from outside. I wish they would start doing that again. Things aren't getting any better. The next generation automatics will be electronic logic not hydraulic.

Guest spongebob

one more symptom..when its in low (1st) gear, i can let off, then tap the throttle, and it acts like its in neutral, with a bit more gas, itll take off again but not shifting up??? the cable from the throttle body seems to be ok, not tight??? if im looking for anything particular??!!

Guest Brad Gales

I had a similar problem with my 88. The problem was resolved by replacing the vacume modulator. I recall the part being relatively inexpensive ($20) and easy to replace.