honey comb radiator

aqh

Guest Curt Fouse

I am not trying to be smartalek, but I would say take it to a reputable radiator shop. That is what I am getting ready to do with the one for my 1930 Buick. I don't know if it is any good or not as I got the car totally disassembled. Also, I know that I need a new bellows assembly that works the shutters that are in front of the radiator.

Good luck.

Curt

Are fixing for Show or to drive?

To show have it done by a professional.

To drive I have solder them with good luck.(cleaning is the hard part)

One of the best "OLD" repairs (I would guess done in the 20's) on a 1916 was

a small piece of wood stuck in it, as the water seeped he wood swelled and that fix never leaked.

call Beuford Hall for your raditor bellows. He rebuilds them. I met him in Flint. He is a BCA tech adviser.

He has other '30 parts. 317-299-7857

more info on in our 1930 buick group.

I have the same problem with my 1925 Rover 16/50. There are slight leaks (drops of water that evaporate just about as fast as they develop, leaving a faint white stain). I took it to what I was told were the radiator experts in San Francisco and they made it worse, plus doing some rather ugly soldering. In cleaning it up quite gently I provoked a bigger leak.

In desperation I attached my shop vac so that when I put my hand over one of the pipes I could induce a partial vacuum in the radiator. I then ran a (very) little epoxy into the leaking cell, using a wooden tooth pick (having dried everything with a hair dryer for a while) and let it suck in for a second or two. After it set, I reinstalled the radiator, and so far it has held ... but admittedly the engine has come up to temperature only about twice since. I have no idea about the longevity of such a repair, but I think it's worth trying if you only have a few minor leaks. Be thankful you do not have a pressurized system (at least, with a honey comb radiator, I assume not).

Ken G, 1925 Rover 16/50 (San Francisco)

• 2 weeks later...