Takin' Off The Chrome

Hello All,

I'm getting my car ready for a trip to the body shop for painting, which means I'm taking as much chrome off as possible.

Has anyone ever removed the "BUICK" lettering from the trunk lid of a '63 Le Sabre?? I'm sure that these are attached via speed nuts on little chrome tabs just like everything else I've removed so far - but I cannot see the speed nuts. The trunk lid is "double walled" behind the letters - I don't see a way to get to them without drilling or breaking !!

Help.

Thanks,

Ira

I've seen lots of 60s Pontiacs that have a "blade" type stud on the letters that is a press fit into a slot on the decklid or door. Maybe the Buick is the same? Hate to tell you to go prying on them to see if they'll pop off- GM used some strange trim attachments over the years.

If I pry, how will these reinstall?

What is on the back of the letters? How do they attach?

I can also use some advice on how to remove ...

1. the mouldings that surround the front and rear windows

2. winsheild wiper arms.

Thanks !!!!!!

There are little "anchor-like" things that fit on the studs of the letters. They will come out with the letters. All you have to do is keep an eye on them so that you can reinstall later on.

It's nearly impossible to pull the windshield chrome unless you have a specific tool to do it. Most auto parts stores should carry it.

My experience with wiper arms is that they will come off at the base if you pull. I am referring to the part that actually turns the wiper arms. I'm unsure if there is a clip or anything that actually holds them in or not.

Guest John Chapman

Ira,

The name plate is most likely held in with a device known as a 'barrel clip', commonly used for 'blind' applications like the double walled trunk lid. This spring clip inserts into the hole in the sheet metal and locks in to form a sleeve that the post on the name plate fits into. There are spring teeth that grip the posts, and hold the name plate on.

You should be able to remove the name plate by carefully prying up next to the stud on the plate. Use a feeler guage to get under the name plate to determine where the stud posts are. Use care to preserve the barrel clips because most of the ones used in the '60s are obsolete and no longer made. They are reusable and you can generally coax them out of the panel and clean, paint and save them for reinstallation.

They look similar to these: http://metropartsmarket.com/catalog/image_classicmustang_c12_112.html

Cheers,

John

Thanks John & Adam,

I managed to get the lettering off - they were indeed held by these barrel clips. Good news is that 9 of the 10 came out. Bad news is I need to replace the one that fell in !!! Oh the joys of owning and old car!

Ira

Guest AWBE

If the barrel clips are any thing like the one on my 55-76R, they should be available at a large auto trim supply dealer. Mine went in better by puting the clip on the letter first and then tapping the letter (protected by a rag) into the hale with a wood mallet. On the first one, I put the clips in the hole first and then inseting the letter into them. Didn't want to go ---but I finally got it in.

Guest John Chapman

For the one that 'fell in'...

-- Get a strong magnet (one of those Craftsman adjustable long reach pick up tools is best)

-- Remove the rubber cushion at the side of the trunk, which should have a 3/16- 5/16 inch hole, or better remove the lock if it's in the trunk lid for a larger hole

-- With the magnet, lead the lost clip over to the hole and fish it out. If it's turned, use a pair of needle nose pliers.

-- You might be surprised at what comes out in addition to the clip. I got two rusty bobby pins, a quarter inch nut, a small pile of welding 'dingleberrys' and four rusty clips.

JMC