windshield washer doesn't work

Guest sintid58

Guest sintid58

When I push the washer button I can hear the pump working and I have replaced all the hoses but nothing comes out. Is there an easy fix such as a diaphram or just part of the wiper motor to replace. Any suggestions thanks.

Is this on the GSX? The pump is the exrernal part of the windshield wipers. and doesn't always work well. You can get a complete replacement or you use to be able to haven't done it in years from the auto parts store. Buy some RainX and put it on the windshield, after you clean the windshield well, and you won't need the wipers til it starts to smear, then clean the windshield good again and reapply the RainX. This works,as my 56 Buick has vacuum operated wipers and I drove it to OK, OH< and TN with no probelm other than one stop to put the RainX on! RV

Compared to the external electric pumps, the integral washer pump that GM used just never seemed to me to be as good as it should have been. Just my feelings on that matter. Kind of like you punched the washer button and things started making noise and MAYBE some water would come out of the washer nozzles in some sort of "programmed" manner. But that's the way they were . . .

In concept, it's a neat and compact design, but I always liked to punch the button and have water spray immediately and in the amounts I wanted. I suspect that the pump itself (and the rubber diaphram in the pump cylinder) are the main culprits.

I can also heartily recommend the Rain-X treatment. There's also a Rain-X glass cleaner that will really put a slick shine on the glass and with repeated applications can fill in some minor sand pitting. Then put the regular Rain-X on top of that and it really works great.

Roberta, I understand that if you take the vac wiper motor apart and put some fresh wheel bearing grease down in there for the leather to work/seal against, it can make a significant difference in how those wipers work.

Enjoy!

NTX5467

Guest sintid58

Yes I use rainex on my 58 and my over the road truck, I wouldnt be without it but was thinking about the big skeeters in Minnesota on the way to Flint, it may be nice to use the washers. Will check around for parts thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Roberta, I understand that if you take the vac wiper motor apart and put some fresh wheel bearing grease down in there for the leather to work/seal against, it can make a significant difference in how those wipers work.

Enjoy!

NTX5467 </div></div>

I'm replacing the whole fuel pump, so should see a difference, waiting on motor mount, now!