Is this bad? Metal in transmission strainer...

I don't know a ton about transmissions so I don't know if this is bad.  This came out of my M5 (1948 Chrysler) hydraulically operated transmission from the strainer.  I've never opened up the strainer before but it seems bad.  Everything is yellow metal and I didn't see any steel/iron in the shavings. 

Does anybody open up their strainer and how often?  Everything else in there seemed super clean from what I could see.  No build up or dirty looking oil.  

thumbnail (5).jpeg

thumbnail (4).jpeg

Metal in a transmission is never a good thing. Is anything malfunctioning, like reverse? There are several parts that can disintegrate like clutches, torque converter, pump, bushings, bearings, drums, planetary gears and sprags (a sprag is a unidirectional bearing). The only way to tell is to dismantle it.

Are the shavings brass? 

What color was the fluid? Did it seem gritty? Trans fluid is basically a mineral oil with a detergent and some lubricity agents. It should always be ruby red or you have some type of problem.

I missed your yellow comment. My guess is it is a bushing that is disintegrating.

This might come in handy

https://www.oldmoparts.com/parts/h_clutch/fluid-drive-and-semi-automatic-transmission-shop-manual-and-troubleshooting-guide-1946-1950-chrysler-dodge-desoto/

• Like 1