1954 Dodge C Series Model "Y" Air Compressor Belt

John J.

I am having a difficult time coming up with the right size belt for the air compressor on my 1954 Dodge Model "Y" Truck w/ the 413 6.  Runs around the bottom pulley, water pump and compressor.  Anyone have an old catalog with a part number or dimensions? Thanks. 

3 hours ago, John J. said:

I am having a difficult time coming up with the right size belt for the air compressor on my 1954 Dodge Model "Y" Truck w/ the 413 6.  Runs around the bottom pulley, water pump and compressor.  Anyone have an old catalog with a part number or dimensions? Thanks. 

Use a cloth type tape measure.. 

there is a guy that has 3 of these trucks. We sold him a 413.

i think his handle is theb49er.

The original 1954 C1Y/C3Y air compressor belt MoPar part

# is 1191242.

I have never been able to find a 100% proper fit belt on my 1953 413 air compressor belt.

Tried Gates, Dayco, and other brands over the past 30 years using some of the best parts guys..can get a belt 1/2" longer or shorter...nope not enough adjustment.

The belt length, width angle has to be dead on as there is very little adjustment and access/R&R is difficult.

Some also run the ac belt over the generator double groove generator pulley. 

Guess I'm lucky the belt on my truck is still in decent condition.

If you find one that is a good fit I want to know!😀

20221101_163148_gNJVKTT64R.jpeg

Edited by c49er (see edit history)

Wow!! I'm ashamed of my 413 after looking at yours!!  I had to have the H20 Pump re-built so now is a good time to change the belts. The Compressor belt on there now is a Gates 256 that doesn't show up anywhere. It appears to be a 7/8 X 64" belt, but a 27/32" belt would better fit the pulleys, I think judging by the fraying on the current belt.  My Gen. only has 1 pulley, and my radiator doesn't have a shroud like yours, which has always seemed strange to me.

A sad tale:  30 years ago I heard a story of a '55 or '56 Dodge Fire Truck w/ the 413 that had been totaled in a crash in 1960.  I tracked down the salvage yard that had the truck,; here in the "Southern Tier" of New York State, about 75 miles South of us.  I called and talked w/ the owner who remembered the details very well.  He said they pulled the engine & 5sp tranny and "stuck it in the shed".  "He said: "I tripped over that son-of-a-bitch for 30 years and last month we sent it to the foundry".  He told me where their scrap went so i called them, but they told me they keep nothing back. Gone. SAD.

• Like 1

I will measure the pump belts on three different engines tomorrow...25/32" is really close to being right. Slightly over 3/4".

Been a couple years since last attempt at finding a correct belt for the red truck 413.

Pics of another 413 engine belt..

All different numbers and pulley set ups.

20201209_211734_compress74.jpg

413 Cali on Stand (2).jpg

20220112_115611_compress96.jpg

20220204_165839_compress72.jpg

Edited by c49er (see edit history)

My generator belts on the spare engines are 52-7/8" and 52-3/4" x 25/32".

The 52-7/8" Napa belt runs over a 3-3/4" generator pulley.

The 52-3/4" Gates green stripe belt runs over a 4" generator pulley.

Both fit and adjust fine.

The no number brand air compressor belt on the spare 413 six engine is 64" x 25/32" and fits/adjusts just fine.

The one on my red truck is slightly too loose and I need to find the right fit new belt....not an easy job to replace it with the shroud.

20241003_165152.jpg