1970 Mercury Marquis convertible project $1,000

Marketplace - 1970 Mercury marquis · LTD | Facebook

The ad has little information and minimal photos and video.  I have already asked the seller for more information and he refuses.  I get it - this forum is 95% "driver" class or better cars and that is generally what I look for too. 

I did run across a post here some months ago regarding the 1970 Marquis convertible. 

In that post production of the 1970 (last year for Mercury convertible other than Cougar?)

1970: Monterey (581); Marquis (1,233)

I won't add photos of the project car in question but it has to be one of the more desirable 1970 Marquis convertibles left, as it has the optimistic colors of Turquoise with white interior.  Being a Marquis, you would expect top of the 1970 line attributes, and that would include the 429 "385" motor.  And you get 2 I guess.   

• Like 2

2 issues or 3, with it being a parts car. 

1.  Every car that is a project is essentially a parts car with todays high cost of restoration. 

2.  Nobody else is restoring a 1970 Marquis convertible. So no one needs the parts. 

3. The poor quality of the ad means no one has enough information to tell if it is worthwhile to restore.  

• Like 1

I would have to disagree with your first two points. Your third point is correct. I would imagine the buyer being someone local that needs some parts, or hopes it has parts he needs. 

7 hours ago, 69merc said:

I would have to disagree with your first two points. Your third point is correct. I would imagine the buyer being someone local that needs some parts, or hopes it has parts he needs. 

And I respect your viewpoint.  This car is in Decatur Illinois.  My facebook marketplace searches can be set to 500 miles from central Iowa.  So, if someone is restoring 1 of the remaining 1244 1970 Marquis convertibles, here you go.  

I guess I always wondered what the difference was between a parts car that is straight and complete and a project car that is straight and complete.  

I would consider a parts car as one with valuable parts, but too much rust and body damage.  The senior 1970 Mercury’s are rarely restored.  

13 hours ago, B Jake Moran said:

I would consider a parts car as one with valuable parts, but too much rust and body damage.  The senior 1970 Mercury’s are rarely restored.  

I would agree only to the extent that it is still not too difficult to find nice restorable, or original, full size Mercurys.  However, you might be overlooking the Marauder which has an avid fan base, many of whom are restoring some fairly far gone project cars.  These guys would have use for the conv. you posted.  They in turn are "leading the way" for other full size Mercs to be saved from permanent destruction. 😎

Edited by 69merc (see edit history)

1 hour ago, 69merc said:

I would agree only to the extent that it is still not too difficult to find nice restorable, or original, full size Mercurys.  However, you might be overlooking the Marauder which has an avid fan base, many of whom are restoring some fairly far gone project cars.  These guys would have use for the conv. you posted.  They in turn are "leading the way" for other full size Mercs to be saved from permanent destruction. 😎

Interesting observation.   I am not sure if you remember but I did purchase a 1970 X-100 about 6 months ago and a friend and I are restoring it, but not too far along.  I should update the post in the projects sub-forum.  

That is what in fact led me to this convertible.  I am looking for a companion vehicle but one mostly to turn over to a restoration shop I am partnering with in Iowa.  I would not do 2 cars.  I am a member of the 69-70 Marauder and Mercury facebook group.  

For me, this color combination is almost ideal for a 1970 Marquis and being "somewhat" snobbish in my approach to what I buy to restore or own, I typically go for top of the line models, so in this case I would have no interest in a Monterey but would not begrudge someone who had one.    

I have both the 1969 and 1970 full size Mercury catalogs and personally this Aqua/Turquoise with white interior speaks to me.  If this car were the subject of the other forum posts Yellow with Brown interior then I am not interested.