Adding factory cruise control to a '66 Electra. How hard?

Guest Parm

Assuming I could find all the right parts (that's another subject), how difficult would it be for a qualified mechanic (not me - also another subject) to add a factory cruise control unit to a '66 Electra with a 401?

Hi Parm,

I have a 67 Electra, but mine came with the speed alert instead of the cruise control. My guess is that assuming you had the right parts and a good electrical guy, it would probably require some modification of the dash. Could be costly and time consuming, but that's just my guess.

Hi

One hell of a job. Just finding the correct parts, and good parts. Some wiring harnesses are wired for cruise and some wern't.

I was never able to find anyone to get my cruise working, and it was a factory option. I don't think it would be worth it to add on. Wiring harness, special speedometer,several relays, and brake pedal arm has a pin that releases the cruise, dont know if brake arm is standard or special. Most all parts are under dash, and a few under hood.

Best way is to buy a complete parts car with cruise and go from there.

Good luck

Jim Schilf / palbuick@aol.com

If it's a governor or vacuum transducer style CC, that won't be hard to install and get working. OTOH, if it's one of those damned Electro-Cruise systems, I'd forget about it. A buddy has a 1964 Pontiac with it and we have been trying to convince it to work for nearly 4 years. Maybe this summer if we get time- he found a complete-in-box NOS setup at Spring Carlisle.