1928 Chrysler Model 72 Clutch Release Bearing Lubrication

This hose and grease reservoir for lack of a better term are on my car coupled to the clutch release bearing.  How can I clean the old encrusted grease out of the hose?  The reservoir should be fairly easy to clean.  The Chrysler owners manual calls for Whitmore Compound 0 every 5000 miles???  Are these grease reservoir's for practical use or just nice ornamentation?  There are other reservoirs on the water pump and distributor.    

100_4269.JPG

100_4270.JPG

Leo,

Your  hose and cup look in good condition (from your photo).

It's not uncommon to find them very frayed/damaged and physically blocked at the gearbox end of the hose, with mine I first soaked the whole assembly in petrol for a few days, then with the old grease softened I  used a piece of suitable sized wire to "rod" out the old grease from the hose. This may take a few times to unblock the hose.

Once clear I resoaked the hose again ,then blew the remaining grease out with compressed air. This also had to be repeated a few times.

With the hose clear, fill the cup with a suitable grease and replace the cap and tighten it down fully, then repeat the process until grease comes out the other end of the hose. Your hose is now primed ready to install .

As for grease, I used ordinary multi purpose grease.

Once cleaned and primed they work great, just screw the cap in a turn ( don't overdo it) to push the grease into the bearing. Refill the cup when the cap bottoms out. Unless you plan to drive your car a lot I doubt you would use more than 1 cap full of grease.

• Like 1