Brake Trouble Help

Grimm

When I purchased our '68 Cutlass 3 weeks ago, I didn't think the brakes were too great, but being an older car I figured it was probably normal. They worked OK, but I only had about an inch of pedal left when I was at a stop. I drove the car yesterday to a show and after about an hour on the highway we got off the exit and the brakes didn't grab as well, and I had to put the pedal to the floor to stop. Up until that point, I didn't even think to check the fluid level. When I checked it, the front was down quite a bit, but I don't know if it was any lower than before. I filled it almost to the top, and checked it later. It looked like it was down slightly, but hard to tell. Also when I would check it, the back kept spilling over. So I'm not sure if some of the fluid from the front was spilling into the back to make it look a little lower. I'm hoping to get it looked at soon, but I'm wondering if anyone out there has any feedback as to what the problem might be. By the way, I have power brakes with drums.

Sounds like a slow leak somewhere in the system, probably at one of the wheel cylinders. If that's the case, you probably have some air in the lines which will cause your brake pedal to drop as air is compressable and fluid is not. Have the wheels pulled (you could do this yourself) and inspect for leaks. A mechanic who does brake jobs knows where the most common sites for leaks are. But and oily fluid in or around your wheels should be investigated.

If there's a leak, everytime you step on the brake, you squirt some fluid out and when you release the brake pedal, suck some air back in. Also, brake fluid is hydoscopic which simply means it attracts water. Moisture in the air will mix in with it and that creates problems. The water has a much lower boiling point than brake fluid and will create vapor as well as cause corrosion of steel parts. It's a good idea to bleed the system periodically to prevent that. It really doesn't cost all that much to do.