1939 Buick Special 40 Lower Control Arm

I’m replacing the lower control arm rubber bushings and caged bump stop. The book says you have to remove the rivets to do so. It also says on a 1938 model you can replace the rivets with bolts. It doesn’t mention the 39 models. Has any one done this? What did you do to replace the rivets? 

Thanks Michel

• 4 weeks later...

Yes you can drill out the rivets and use bolts. The rivets were originally peened hot and they swelled into the entire bore of the hole in the lower control arm assembly. With care you can drill the rivets out. Replacement bolts are usually a little loose in the bore and  some folks drill out the hole oversize for a tighter fit. I didn't drill my holes oversize and it didn't seem to be a problem. Be sure to install the lower outer pivot pin before you tighten your newly installed bolts. That will keep the threads in the lower control arms aligned.

Thanks

Leif

• Like 2

Thanks for your input guys. Putting in the pin on the lower control arm is a great idea Leif.  I did leave one rivet in to help keep things lined up. That still allowed me to replace lower control arm bushings and caged bump stop. I did use grade 8 bolts 2” fine tread for the one hole and for the two rivets I replaced for the caged bump stop I ran 2 1/4” fine tread grade 8 bolts. I must admit, those rivets were a pain to remove. Thanks again,

Michael

IMG_6700.jpeg

• Like 2