Any Grout projects out there?

Back 15 years ago, in Orange and Ware Mass there were a few kicking around. Two were on Rt 9 almost near downtown and could often be seen when the garage door was open. Simply put.......Grout cars probably only survive in the single digits. The question is how drivable they are. White was somehow involved with the company early on, and left to start his own company. Early steam that is non Stanley is just about dead........which is very unfortunate as I clearly remember Grout, White, Stanley, and Loco's running around Massachusetts in the late 60's and early 70's. 

Not much for early small steam to be found anywheres and that includes Grout, but an engine would help.  Grout engines are out there but most have wanted a fair bit more than I am willing to part with.  Outside of some engines I have only ever seen one Grout gauge on ebay and the high pressure seemed to indicate it probably wasn't for my chassis.

image.jpeg.e61db8a7fbce9f89b29d9e92b1f873be.jpeg

Grout Brothers Automobile Company

14 hours ago, edinmass said:

Back 15 years ago, in Orange and Ware Mass there were a few kicking around. Two were on Rt 9 almost near downtown and could often be seen when the garage door was open. Simply put.......Grout cars probably only survive in the single digits. The question is how drivable they are. White was somehow involved with the company early on, and left to start his own company. Early steam that is non Stanley is just about dead........which is very unfortunate as I clearly remember Grout, White, Stanley, and Loco's running around Massachusetts in the late 60's and early 70's. 

It's not an area with many "undiscovered" cars, but I have heard some early streamer rumors of eccentric families that have almost mythical status (and not the one in the hilltowns)...

The downturn in non Stanley steam participation is part of my interest, have something that's different.  Its not that Stanleys are popular for their forward thinking engineering or exceptional build quality, so their competitors ought to be similarly unreliable with a comparable level fiddling.  Its all part of the charm of steam.  Those cars running in the '60s are still around somewhere, some went to Europe but there must be a fair number languishing.  I would estimate low double digit survival on all models of Grout steamer.  The cost to refurbish probably exceeds their value in this market, but it would be fun, if a complete one were to surface.  Many more on the Locos and Whites even though you hardly ever see them.  Good original Stanleys are scarce enough in comparison to cars built outside of Newton, but that's another matter...

• Like 1