1966 Buick Skylark Rear Quarter Interior Plastic Protective Cover

Posted (edited)

Difficult item to find in the Buick Parts Books.

1966 Buick Skylark Rear Quarter Interior Plastic Protective Cover

I have spent hours going thru Buick Classis & Body Parts Books looking for this part without success.

Could someone please tell me the correct name for it and what Group & Part Number it is.  Left Hand & Right Hand.

Much obliged for sure.

Thank You,

Greg Thomas

1966 Buick Skylark RR Qtr Interior Cover 1a.jpg

1966 Buick Skylark RR Qtr Interior Cover 1b.jpg

1966 Buick Sky GS RR Qtr Cap Covers 1a.JPG

1966 Buick Sky GS RR Qtr Cap Covers 1b.JPG

Edited by NEW1966 (see edit history)

My first reaction to your post was a description of "escutcheon".  Looking in the index for that item, I discovered lots of them in Group 11.000, in the part number section.  It appears most of that group are exterior moldings, though.  Looking for interior illustrations, nothing there, relating to rear interior trim panels and windlace.

The parts book files I have were printed in 1976, but I have observed that with time and later printings of the parts books, some prior parts (which were scheduled for discontinuation) have been deleted.  This makes having a parts book with a printing date of when the car was in production, or a few years afterward, VERY IMPORTANT for some minor items which were only stocked at the "Master" or "Factory" parts depot locations, meaning a Michigan warehouse.

It is also possible that Pontiacs and Oldsmobiles, of similar body platforms, also used that part.  IF an illustration with the part detailed in it can be found in the other brands, that same part should be in the same group in the Buick parts book.  Group numbers were universal among the GM brands.  The only issue could be that a group number item in Pontiac might not be used in Buick or Olds, for example.

Are there any casting numbers on the back of the part?  Many times, in addition to the vendor part number and production time castings, there can also be a 7-digit (or less) GM casting number.  Sometimes, such casting numbers are very similar to the part number found in the parts book.  Maybe off by the last digit being, say, a cast "5" which the GM part number ending in "6" or "4".

That particular part would be a very low-needs item in the replacement side of things.  Age would be it's primary foe.  Which would mean few dealers would have stocked it and any stock at GM warehouses was purged at the first possible time.  Which, in reality, means that searching a salvage yard in the norther half of the USA (where lower UV ray intensity) would be the best option.  Even better in Canada, IF any of those cars have not been crushed already.  All of which can make part number searches meaningless.

As to colors?  GM would have initially sold "colors", but as stock of them was depleted, they would have been superseded into "paint to match" items.

Hope this might help,

NTX5467

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank You for your help and detailed explanation NTX5467.

I have every Buick Chassis & Body Parts Books from 1937-1981.

The closest I could find in the Illustrations were in Groups 14 & 15.  No picture or information regarding these plastic "corner covers".  Windlace and Mouldings were present in the pictures, however none of these were pictured.

I believe you are right about one thing.......they probably were available on All 1966-1967 "A" Body 2 door hardtops and possibly convertibles.  442  GS  Skylark  GTO  Lemans  Tempest  Chevelle.

Greg Thomas

14.631 Group #    Rear Body Lock Pillar Finishing Cap

Thank You Oldsfan and keiser31 and rocketraider.

What would we do without these great guys?

Greg Thomas