Anchor bolt on 40’ Buick Special

Hi Everyone, my son Tom (business as usual), put new front brake shoes on his 40’ Special, mod. 46 yesterday. He adjusted the brakes shoes hard against the drum, then backed them off 10 clicks on the adjuster wheel.  (Arbitrary number of clicks) After pressing the primary shoe against the drum, we checked the clearances on the secondary shoe per shop manual instructions. Had the proper clearance on one end of the brake shoe and had no clearance on the other end. As I understand it, the adjustment we need to make is with the anchor bolt, but the manual does not say how that adjustment is made. Loosen the anchor bolt nut, and then what?  I guess I’m missing something here. Tomorrow we will loosen the nut and see what we can figure out.  Any input on this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Bill 

Hi Bill and welcome. I do not know about the 40 Special, but it is common for the anchor bolt to be eccentric to the mounting stud/bolt. You may find that with the nut loose it will be possible to rotate the anchor bolt and it will move side to side or sum such to allow the needed adjustment before locking it in place with the nut.  Good luck and let us know.

Well, we tried to center the shoes with the above method, the drum moved freely after, but the measurements were not good. Repeated the process again, and got the same results. One end of the secondary shoe measured .015, but the other end was so close that we could not get the feeler guage in at all. So we just loosened up the anchor bolt nut and tapped it forward with a hammer, and got better results. As it is now, the bottom measurement is a good .015, and the top of the shoe measurement is a tight .015, or a perfect .014. I don’t think .001 will make any difference.  Hope to get the other side done tomorrow. The first thing we did today was replace the old brake fluid with new and bled the brakes. It was almost exactly 4 years since we installed a new master cylinder and put in new DOT 3. Game plan was to switch out the fluid every 3 years, makes me think about how fast the years are ticking by.  Thanks again for your input. Bill

• Like 1